1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating Fabric.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Harr70517, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Harr70517

Harr70517 Registered Guest

Need help dating fabric. I framed a piece of the fabric to sell and would like to have some info on hand about the fabric. Would like date and type and if possible a name.

The tag on the fabric says Garrison Wagner, St. Louis, MO. The numbers 15C & Z-405 are on the tag also. The price on the tag is $2.50 which I assume is the cost per yard. I tried calling the company and the phone number was no longer in service. No website either. 100_0319.JPG 100_0319.JPG 100_0320.JPG 100_0321.JPG 100_0319.JPG 100_0320.JPG 100_0321.JPG

Please see attached pictures. If anyone knows of a site where I can get more info that will be appreciated also.

Thank you,
    Julie Harrington

2. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

That looks like a later 1930's or early 1940's print to me, and drapery or upholstery fabric. Most of these are are on cotton, sometimes linen or chintz.

tickeryboo likes this.
  3. tickeryboo

tickeryboo Alumni

hi julie, the fabric is lovely and would agree with lynne, it looks 30s to me as well

lorraine

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The fabric is lovely. It looks like a screen print multi-purpose fabric (used for draperies, pillow covers and light upholstery - depending on width and weight.) It's probably cotton or linen or a cotton/linen blend.

The design (the pattern) could be from the 1940's or 1950's but prints are often copied, reproduced or re-introduced so without more information it is hard to date them. What does the printing on the selvage say? I can't read it. It looks like it ends in Kit Prints which may give you some information about the mill where it was printed - or it may be the name of the pattern.

I did a very quick search and found this for Garrison Wagner: It is or was a store fixtures company.

http://www.yellowpages.com/saint-louis-mo/mip/garrison-wagner-15396012

Is the phone number the same number as on the tag?

Linn

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Very pretty! I think it is 1940s to early 1950s, and agree it is a drapery/upholstery weight fabric. Looks like a screen printed or roller printed cotton in a plain weave, like a canvas weave but lighter in weight. The selvage says "Vat Print" which refers to the fact that all of the yarns used in the weaving (or screen printing as yours look to be) came from the same dye batch (vat dyed) which ensures there is no variation in the color throughout the yardage on that bolt.

tickeryboo likes this.
  6. Harr70517

Harr70517 Registered Guest

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, the printing on the side says "Guaranteed to be vat prints".

Julie

7. tickeryboo

tickeryboo Alumni

ah barbara, i've sold many curtains and fabrics with "vat print" on them but never knew what it meant, thank you

lorraine