1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating hats

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nichole, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Nichole

Nichole Registered Guest

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg hi,
    I need some help dating these two hats. Also, I was wondering what style they were.
    Thanks so much,
    Nichole

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

They both look very late Victorian to early Edwardian, as in 1897 - 1907. Hard for me to be sure without seeing some close ups, especially close ups of the interiors. The black hat seems a bit odd to me because the brim, its construction, and the lining are circa 1900 era but the crown and especially the green ribbon looks newer than that to me. Is it possible that the ribbon was added at some later date? As I said I would need to see it close and examine the joins and the sewing, etc. Is the ribbon a heavy silk satin?

The second (beige?) hat is an interesting novelty straw, very nice. It probably had a lining which is now gone missing, although not all straw hats had linings especially is they had a sheer silk facing as yours does. The ties may be additions.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Nichole likes this.
  3. Nichole

Nichole Registered Guest

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello,
    I took better close ups of the black hat. I hope it helps. The ribbon looks like it was added, it's grosgrain.
    Thank you,
    Nichole

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Thank you for the added photos, Nichole. Yes, the green ribbon is a later addition. If you wish to sell this, you might want to consider gently removing the green stitches and take off the ribbon. You could replace it with a length of antique silk ribbon in any color, preferably something vintage looking in hue or black. Or gently drape a piece of fabric around the brim, preferably silk and something very lightweight. You would disclose this to the potential buyers, of course. But it would increase the value and it would look so much better.

Nichole likes this.
  5. Nichole

Nichole Registered Guest

Thank you so much for your help. You're wonderful!