1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Dating Shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hannah Johnson, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Hannah Johnson

Hannah Johnson Registered Guest

Hi there! I thank everyone in advance who helps me out! My name is Hannah and I need some help dating some shoes and finding out more about the brand/designer/whatever's on the tag. I want to make sure they're vintage and I guess I'm just curious. I can't find much info on the shoes or brand, but there are a couple different Timothy Hitsman (the name on the tag) shoes listed on Esty. Overall, it's unclear to me how old the shoes are and who Timothy Hitsman is. I suppose if I had to make a guess I would say they're from the 1980's? I don't know man...I'm knew to this and I've only been alive since 1996 so I wouldn't know any better.
    Details:
    Brand/Designer: Timothy Hitsman (Name that is on the tag. Have no idea who or what Timothy Hitsman is.)
    Color: Metallic/ Shiny Gold Body with Translucent Heels and Gold Inner Lining
    Materials: Unknown, Maybe Leather??? Not Completely Sure... Not Listed on the Shoes (I have another pair of Timothy Hitsman heels with the same tag that are made of leather, so that kind of makes me think these might be leather as well)
    Unique Features: The heels of the shoes are translucent and have 3 ridges on the inside of the heel
    20150110_152700.jpg 20150110_162105.jpg 20150110_152745.jpg 20150110_152805.jpg 20150110_152852.jpg 20150110_152953.jpg 20150110_153331.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

This applies for both the shoes you have posted: I would place these in the early 90's because that toe is just changing to a squarer shape. Plus there was a trend for lots of see through materials and items in the 90's.
    The US trademark for Timothy Hitsman shows they were making shoes and handbags and have used that logo since 1989 for footwear and 1990 for handbags. The international trademark for both was issued in 1996.
    http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4803:t36re5.2.1

3. Hannah Johnson

Oh wow that website seems very useful. Thank you so much Pinkcoke! Hm...well then they don't really seem like anything special huh? And I don't know if I can really call them "vintage." *Sigh* Oh well....Thank you!

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Both designs are a bit quirky because of the heels, there are plenty more average 90's footwear out there than these :)
    In earlier years designers would patent a heel design like those, I wonder if they were still doing that in the 90's or it was unenforceable by then.
    Yes there are on the cusper between vintage and just old. Your best bet is to try and find adverts for a similar shape shoe, or Timothy Hitsman if you can.

Just found his obituary, which reveals a bit more:
    http://business.highbeam.com/435553...timothy-hitsman-shoe-designer-and-businessman

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  5. Hannah Johnson

Oooooooo we got some liars on Etsy...saying their timothy hitsman shoes are older then they are...
    Oh, and by adverts you mean advertisements right? How would I go about finding ads? (If you're wondering why I care so much, I like vintage clothing and might try starting my own booth at an antique mall and I don't want to sell anybody any "vintage" items that aren't really vintage.)

6. Hannah, there a lot of misdated "vintage" items on etsy. I don't think they police it at all, and it's a great place for amateurs to sell so they may not realise that their datings are out.

That's one of the many reasons I love the VFG forums: any one can post their items here and get opinions on them.

I agree with Melanie on a '90s dating for these '60s inspired shoes - I think they're about mid '90s. As Melanie says, they're much more interesting than a lot of shoes made in that decade and I'm sure you'll find a good home for them.

I remember shopping for shoes in London in '92 - every single shoe in the shop was black. Shoes like yours are part of the colourful backlash that came after, as a counterpoint when we'd all had enough of black shoes.

7. Hannah Johnson

And that's why I'm here! And I plan on using this website a lot in the future. I'm really glad I found it. Dating a clothing item is very exciting to me. I enjoy trying to solve the mystery, but it's a bit frustrating when you're knew to it like me. But I'm working on my knowledge. Thank you so much Circa Vintage!

8. Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  9. Hannah Johnson

Oh wow I think I might actually buy that! Thank you! I got some books for Christmas about vintage fashion, but none of them are actually very helpful when it comes to finding vintage items so the book you suggested looks really useful. Thank you!

10. Hannah Johnson

Sweeeeeeet! That's very helpful thank you! Once I get my hands on a book like that I might start walking out of goodwill with real vintage shoes instead of shoes from mid to late 90's and early 2000's. (I find my self drawn to items that are still too new to be vintage...Not sure what that says about my style...It's probably not good). Once again, thank you! You are SUPER helpful.

11. When you're hunting for vintage, you're inevitably going to find mostly modern things, so it's a matter of picking up the clues so you can recognise the pearl amongst the chaff. Apologies for the mixed metaphor.

I'd recommend my book "Love Vintage" too but it's out of print now, but you can read my blog - for free no less! Here are some articles you might like:

12. Hannah Johnson

I looked at a few websites for tips and now I know about RN numbers and lot numbers and odd number sizes, and made in Mexico and California and Hawaii and U.S.A. and woolmarks and all kinds of junk! And I'll totally check out your blog. Now that I know all this stuff I've been busting out some of my suspected vintage clothes and dating them.

13. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Apart from the books by our members, we have a whole bookshop of recommended titles - these are all books that someone on the forums has recommended. See the categories on the left hand side for your areas of interest.

VFG Bookshop: http://astore.amazon.com/thevinfasgui-20