1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help dating shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by jthomas6759, Nov 30, 2004.

1. jthomas6759

jthomas6759 Registered Guest

i need some help dating shoes. i loved Jonathan's shoe workshop, but for some reason i am having trouble with some of mine.

[​IMG]
    Florsheim - Mayfair trimed with satin and beads

[​IMG]
    Nina patent leather with grosgrain ribbon bows

[​IMG]
    in one shoe the label reads "Paramount by Kalmon" the other shoe label reads made expressly for Harry Van

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bally made in switzerland paris new york black velvet? funky bows with leather knot - better pic's of these comming
    soles on bottom of heals almost feels like cardboard or cork?

[​IMG]
    Sears Featherlite Fashion approved by I. Miller cranberry suede pilgram looking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Navy leather Florsheim have Matina Last in them also style maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    same style similar to the Florsheim above - Matina Last, these are black suede and little leather bow and trim across toe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    believe these to be my oldest pair here - peep toes
    Vitality? shoes - navy blue leather with bows

i know this is a lot - any help is greatly appreciated.
    julie

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

First off, I *Love* Nina shoes. My favorite pair of shoes that I own are Ninas. I would say those patent leathers you have there are more modern - 90s based on other styles they had. (i am open to being wrong though)

3. Patentleathershoes

That being said...that i love Nina shoes...please keep in mind that they tend to run a quarter to a half size small, so if selling i would make definite that the measurements are in the listing as well as the size that is printed. People who love those shoes know for the most part that some people need to search one half size up, but not everyone does. list them as the size printed, though, because for the person that they are true to size for (if they are in between sizes already) it would be misleading.

4. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

Another shoeaholic checking in. I'm really no good at dating shoes, but I do want you to know that those Bally's are TO DIE FOR!!! They are adorable!!!!!
    joey/camelbackcat

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Okay, somoe of these are very conservative in styling so they don't scream the period, but there are subtle clues... your black leather pair with the peep toes and leather bow are wartime 40s. All of your FLorsheim loafer styles are early - mid 50s. The Sears featherlite I Millers in cranberry suede are c. 1970ish on the nose. The Bally pair are just post war. The stilettos are c. 1960ish and the black patent pair with grosgrain ribbons are late 1960s

6. Patentleathershoes

really? those are 60s? maybe that came out with a similar pair in the 90s and it would be hard to tell unless seeing the label..and the heel difference is very subtle.

Shows what I know!

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

THe red suede ones? I thought at first they were 90s as well, but the toe shape isn't quite right and the big fringed tongue under the buckle isn't right for 90s either. There was a very brief period when that heel shape was in, right around 1970, which is why I said 1970.

8. Patentleathershoes

I was meaning the patent leathers. a friend of mine had shoes with fabric bows in the 90s, and if you took it off, it looks very much like a style Nina had in the 90s unless there is another Nina except Nina of spain that i am talking about.

i was confused about the reds too. I just remembered that someone had the featherlite label at one point and remembered featherlite was earlier.

9. jthomas6759

jthomas6759 Registered Guest

as usual, i think you are right on the money. all of the labels appear to be older, i didn't think they were from the 90's, but wanted to be sure. they are all in such good shape, i really couldn't tell if they were earlier or not (other than the labels). i will include pics of labels for aution. i really appreciate your interest, and of course your knowlege. wish we could all get togehter for a couple of weeks and just have "workshops and classes". on second thought, it might take months for me.
    thank yall so very much,
    julie

10. Patentleathershoes

Part of knowing dates, etc, is not always just about knowledge, but getting together with other people who all might have a little piece of the puzzle. Much of what we talk about here, you couldn't look up in a book. Well, sometimes you can, but not always. So much is anecdotal.

wish we could all get togehter for a couple of weeks and just have "workshops and classes".

I am putting a calendar together for the beginning of next year with all the classes or workshops and other events.

If you have any sugestions of subjects you would like to see, feel free to make suggestions.

Chris