1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Dating This Sweater!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by WearableHistory, Apr 10, 2022.

1. WearableHistory

WearableHistory Registered Guest

The other day I found this amazing sweater at my favorite thrift store (for only 6 dollars!!). I'm trying to figure out the date of it. I believe it may be from the 60s or 70s but I'm not too sure. I was wondering if anyone has any insight? The sweater has no tags and I believe that the fabric is wool. The details on this piece are spectacular. The collar, the buttons, and the peplum details stand out most to me.

I wish I had a timeline of the evolution of women's sweaters and cardigans. None of my fashion books seem to go into depth about them. I'm surprisingly having a harder time than I thought finding information about the history of peplum sweaters.

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks 70s to me, they usually had a matching skirt that was slightly flared at the bottom.

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I could tell better seeing the finishing on this but I think it's very early 80s, possibly late 70s.

CatsLikeUs likes this.
  4. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

5. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

I would have thought of this as earlier, too, but details seen with it in-hand could tell a different story.

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think late 70s, possibly early 80s. But it has lots of 40s influences.

It's probably hand knitted, but I can't tell without seeing more close up pictures, especially of the inside finishing, seams etc. Are the buttons covered?

It's difficult to date hand knitted items, because people do knit from vintage patterns. Someone could take a 1940s pattern and knit it up and you'd have hard time knowing if it was knitted in the 40s and lain unworn in a cupboard since then, or knitted in the 70s, or knitted last week.

There are books on the history of knitting, but they usually focus more on techniques than the evolution of styles. However looking at vintage knitting patterns is a great way to understand, as they can usually be dated at least approximately by the photographs. I will try and find a similar garment in knitting patterns.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  7. Retro Ruth

also the button band, looks to me like a rib stitch? that was picked up and knit from the edge of the cardigan front, eg knit at right angles to the body of the sweater. And therefore the button holes are vertical, rather than horizontal. I'd need a close up back and front to be sure.

This is a more modern technique. Not unthinkable in the 40s, but much less likely. Back then button bands were usually knitted in a long strip and then sewn to the garment. Or knitted in one piece with the cardigan fronts, in the same direction. It's partly to do with the availability of long circular needles that this change happened.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    GemGem and Vintagiality like this.
  8. Retro Ruth

The scalloped collar is very interesting, and I'm wondering how that has been achieved!

It's a wonderful piece, I love it.

GemGem likes this.
  9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Yes. As a life-long knitter, you really need to look closely at the finishing details. IMHO.

GemGem and Retro Ruth like this.