1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help dating vintage looking dress with no tags

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Meg Kauffman, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Meg Kauffman

Meg Kauffman Registered Guest

I bought a couple dresses thinking they were vintage but now im thinking these are hand made only 3 have tags but some appear to have had the tags cut out, 2 of them are tags with only lot and size nothing else, the other is a Toni Todd tag but no size or information. Need some help on dateing theses dresses if they are in fact vintage or if they are hand made.

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Meg Kauffman

How do I get the pictures to post every time i try it tells me they are to large for the server to publish, ive tried making he pictures smaller but it still won't let me post them

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

5. Meg Kauffman

#1. Has no tag or visible sign of a tag being ripped or cut out. Has a metal zipper.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  6. 1960s for this one, Meg.

7. Meg Kauffman

#2. This one has a size and material tag. It's polyester, I also noticed and added pictures of it that the seams are uneven. Plastic zipper

Attached Files:

8. Meg Kauffman

#3. This one does not have a tag. I was told by someone that's it's very old. Plastic zipper.

Attached Files:

9. Meg Kauffman

#4. This is actually a pantsuit. has a lot and size tag. Plastic zipper.

Attached Files:

10. Meg Kauffman

#5. No tag. Plastic zipper.

Attached Files:

11. Meg Kauffman

#6. This is the Toni Todd that's the only tag. Plastic zipper.

Attached Files:

12. Meg, it's going to get confusing with multiple dresses and people not knowing how to comment on each one. It's best if you can create a new thread as per forum guidelines for each one, especially as you have so many photos. Failing that (seeing as you've already posted them all here) can you please add a number to each one so we know what we're talking about? Eg, dress #1, dress #2 etc. Thank you.

I'll give it a shot though.

13. 1970s. It might have had a sheer dress over the top originally.

14. Can you identify the fabric please? This one looks '70s too.

15. Hard to see what's going on in the dark but it looks late '70s to me.

16. Another 1970s. Are these all from the same wardrobe?

17. This one looks '70s too.

18. Meg Kauffman

Yes I believe they were from the same wardrobe, as I bought these at an auction as a group. I paid $30 for these do you think I did good, well with it or did i break even with these as in they arnt worth much but as a group I did well?

19. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I agree with Nicole that these look 70s. And $30 for all of them - $5 apiece is a good deal!

My favorites are the red one and the black one - they look like something you'd see on The Love Boat.

20. Meg Kauffman

Thank you guys so much for your help! What range do you think these dresses are actually worth? Wouldn't want to just toss these around if they are worth somthing. When i bought these dresses multiple people came to me asking to look at dress #3 and one lady kept trying to get me to sell it to her but offered $10 is that an average price espieclly for that kind of dress? just curious not looking to ever sell these. And as referring to dress #3 i dont know the material I'm not good at knowing those things and it doesn't have a tag but the top part I would assume is lace the bottom is a thick itchy kind of material.