1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help identifying a vintage fur :)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jordan, Nov 13, 2014.

1. jordan

jordan Registered Guest

Hi, I have had a lady come into my shop to see if I could identify her fur coat that was her mothers from the 40's. Unfortunately I have only sold vintage mink and rabbit and was wondering if any of you lovely people could help?

It is very long and at the back there is a V shape that has been shaved.
    The fur is extremely soft, almost like a cat and the pelts seem to be rather large.
    Unfortunately there is no label.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jordan
    x

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Jordan, That's fox fur and it looks like it dates to the 50s. Does it have sleeves? If so it would be a jacket. If not it would be a wrap, cape, capelet, shawl, or stole.

3. jordan

jordan Registered Guest

Hi furwise, thank you :) it doesn't have sleeves but it does have tiny poppers all along the bottom, so it probably used to fix onto a longer coat maybe? I am relatively new to stocking fur, do you know how much fox is worth?

Thank you so much for your quick reply

Jordan x

4. peaceful vintage

You are most welcome. Unfortunately we aren't able to tell you how much items are worth here; not because we don't want to but because value can vary so much and we aren't able to assess all that might bring value or detract from value online.
    Furs are sort of unpredictable in value right now too but the best way to try to get an idea of what one like yours might sell for would be to search for similar fox fur garments that have sold recently.

5. Jordan, the poppers at the bottom might have been to affix a length of tails - sometimes you find them with a detachable piece of fabric with a series of tails attached.

I agree with Caryn's dating and would call this a stole, although any of the other words work too (but not jacket or coat if there aren't any sleeves).

At the VFG forums we can't offer advice regarding value as there are too many variables to consider, and photos are inadequate for this task. You can try searching closed ebay auctions or local retailers. I find that vintage furs vary hugely in value depending on condition (many have been neglected and have dry skin or moult fur) and your location. Eg, they're not worth much here in Australia where I am, but they fetch better prices in Europe, especially in the colder parts where more people wear them.

UPDATE: cross posted with you, Caryn.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  6. peaceful vintage

That's ok. I just looked back at my response and saw that I left out where Jordan could search for recently sold similar fox fur garments; eBay. I meant to write it but left it out. Teamwork. :)

7. jordan

jordan Registered Guest

Thank you so much :) x