1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Identifying Bark Cloth Please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by penguin, Sep 7, 2011.

1. penguin

penguin Registered Guest

We found 6 drapery panels in our attic today. They don't belong to our family, so have been in the attic since before 1948. Does anyone know what this is? I believe it's bark cloth.

If so, I'd like to try to identify the pattern and it's value.

2. Do you have any photos please?

Nicole

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

4. penguin

penguin Registered Guest

Can\'t Post Picture

Well, shoot, this isn't working out too well....;o(

I CAN'T get the picture to post. In the field for Attachement, I click "Browse", bring up the picture....but can't find where to "upload" it so you can see it. Help?

5. The Vintage Merchant

6. penguin

penguin Registered Guest

7. penguin

penguin Registered Guest

[​IMG]

Ok, THIS is the backside....I messed up on previous post (sorry):wacko:

8. The Vintage Merchant

it looks like bark cloth to me, nice floral piece.

it also looks like it has gilding on it? sort of a metallic gold in parts of the print? if so, do NOT wash the fabric...the gold might come off. It MIGHT stay on, but i've had textiles that the gold came off w/gentle washing.

i'm not familiar with a bark cloth identification site, but if there IS such a thing, i would think googling barkcloth as well as bark cloth, floral print, peony print, morning glory print

would be your best search bets to try.

also, "bark cloth barkcloth history of" should pull up some good information, too.

9. penguin

penguin Registered Guest

Yep, it is gilded (if that's what metallic gold on the fabric means). Still researching. No luck...and my hubby calls me "Miss Google"

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

I can only see the one close up photo. I would date it to the very late 1940s to early 1950's.

If you can fold back some of the seaming, try to see if there is any writing on the selvages, which could have some clues to the dating.

B

11. penguin

penguin Registered Guest

Hi Barbara, excellent suggestion! I did check the selvages, but they've been trimmed off. The hems were sewn in with a blindhemmer. Does that give a clue? I'm not sure how far back blindhemmers were put in use.

I see on ebay that barkcloth panels go for a pretty penny. I do plan on selling these panels, but have no idea how to know their worth.... ;o(

12. penguin

penguin Registered Guest

K, gonna try posting these again. This is the back side of the fabric:[​IMG]

This is the bouquet:
    [​IMG]

This the closeup of the bouquet. The "spattered" looking part of the print is actually metallic gold:[​IMG]

13. penguin

penguin Registered Guest

14. Sorry, but the photos still do not show up.
    Not all drapery and upholstery fabric from the era was bark cloth.

15. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, that's right. Barkcloth has become a catch all phrase that is often over used today. There were a variety of textured weaves in the late 30's through the late 50s. I have been collecting them for over 40 years and have seen many types.

Some were called pebble cloth, nubby weave cloth, or simply textured weave in the old fabric catalogs. Bark cloth or barkcloth (I see it both ways) has a particular texture that really does look and feel like tree bark. But many sellers today call all of the textured weaves barkcloth now, as it gets buyers attention.

The "barkcloth" gold enhanced upholstery fabrics did not make their appearance until the late 40s after WWII, and your pattern and weave looks more early 1950s than late 1940's. But as you say they have been there since before 1948, that is a mystery. Are you 100% positive they were not put there after 1948?

These were made in thousands of patterns over many years, and there is no 1 place to research every name or date of every pattern. Each manufacturer kept their own records. Your best bet is the old catalogs from Sears, Montgomery Wards, etc, which have pages of these fabrics with lots of good info for identifying them.

There were a few trade names for these gold enhanced upholstery fabrics, but I have my catalogs stashed away and cannot recall. The gold was painted/splattered/sprayed/ on after the fabric was printed. And yes, I agree to not wash it.

The fact that you have matching pairs is a real plus.

B

16. penguin

penguin Registered Guest

Thank you everyone for your help. Even though we weren't able to identy the fabric I'm going to list the panels on Ebay. wish me well! :o)