1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help identifying fur coat!!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Samigrahamy, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Samigrahamy

Samigrahamy Registered Guest

Very thick, long fur, grey/brown under coat. Trying to sell it but I need to know a ball park of what animal it could be!

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

Great coat. It's Finn raccoon.

3. Samigrahamy

Samigrahamy Registered Guest

Wow thank you! Is this a common type of coat? I know nothing about it, it has no tags other than one saying it's inner lining is silk.

4. peaceful vintage

I'd say it's not as well known as mink and fox but it' one that people who know of it like to wear because of It's fullness. It' a good coat.

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Caryn, What in the world is a Finn raccoon? Wild, farm raised? Where? I know you are busy, but curiosity overwhelms me.
    Marian

6. peaceful vintage

Well, Finn raccoons, tanuki, and Asiatic raccoons are all subspecies of the raccoon dog. They have a similar appearance to raccoons and they are in the canid family which is the same family that dogs are from but they are neither. They are both found in the wild and are farm raised too.

7. We have tanukis at our local (Atlanta) zoo. They are so adorable. Their fur looks very much like this coat.