1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help Identifying this Label on 1920s cloche hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Chazjon, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Chazjon

Chazjon Registered Guest

I just recently purchase this great 1920s cloche hat, have searched the label resourse guide, and on the Internet to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    cloche hat 5.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

That appears to be a lovely hat from the later half of the 1920's. We would need to get a better look at it placed on a head, etc to date it more accurately, and see the other side with the drape (?) but it looks circa 1926-1928. The name "Natalie" is not the name of the actual maker of your hat, it is a trademark name for a line of hats from a hat manufacturer. Might be the National Hat Company, might be another firm, might be the name of the company owner's daughter or wife, or just a made up name used to sell that year's line of hats. I checked my 1920s and 1930s trade resources but did not find that particular name listed, but I can keep looking if there is some reason you need to know.

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would suggest the initials in the decorative frame might be the maker. If you were searching for the name, even as the range name, it may help to include the accent above the 'e' (which is what I believe that flyaway stroke to be) and the cities within your search frame, to rule out plain names.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Melanie is right about the initials in the tiny frame, but I cannot make them out. Looks like an "M" as the last initial? Can you make you the first initial for us?

5. Chazjon

Chazjon Registered Guest

Hello Barbara & Melanie,
    Thank you both for the initial information. Here are some other pictures of the front and sides of this hat. It's approximately 22" and the French mannequin has a small head. The initials are either E & M or L & M. I eventually will be selling this hat and thought additional information would be great as well as my own curiosity !
    I'm very fond of this period of textiles and cloths and in particular celluloid jewelry.
    I will research some more with your suggestions and will let you know what I find out.
    Cheers,

Attached Files:

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Hi,

There were a number of hat makers in New York in the 1920s with those initials. I have books full of over 600 makers and suppliers in NYC alone, and other US cities. I already looked up a number of them based on what I thought I could make out in that logo box. I am not seeing an E in the first initial. Could it be a C? You have it there so you can tell better, as it is hard to see in the photo.

Thank you for the other photos. The hat is from the latter part of the 1920s. Very nice too!

7. Chazjon

Chazjon Registered Guest

Hi again,

Yes, I think its the letter C. Its very curvy in the lines and I looked up some script fonts and it does not appear to be an E or L. So, I think its C & M.

Thanks so much !!

John

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

A hat company with those initials that was in business in NYC and Chicago from 1927 to 1931 and possibly onwards was:

Crieger & Meyer. I don't see them listed in the earlier part of the 1920s. They were the only hat manufacturers (making ready-to-wear hats both trimmed and untrimmed) in NYC with those initials between 1927 and 1931 and I lose track of them after that.

This is a good possibility, and if I ever find out more conclusive evidence that they made the Natalie line of model hats I will let you know.

Pinkcoke likes this.
  9. Chazjon

Chazjon Registered Guest

Hi Barbara,
    Firstly, thank you so much for your very helpful information. If we assume that this is the company, then I did find their ad in the Millinery Trade Review vol. 32 and the description for the company was: "Manufacturers of ladies straw and felt hats moved from Bond st. to 77 Spring street New York". Also, there was another mention of Harry White joining the company and representing them in their sample room on 621 Broadway New York. Not sure if this is correct, however, I just wanted to share this with you.................
    John

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

John,

Thank you for sharing with us what you discovered. Good hunting!