1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Identifying Type of Snakeskin on this Gucci Purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Margi, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Margi

Margi Registered Guest

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/...e&page=guccipurse/pictures&album=8&albumPath=

Hi-
    I'd be grateful if anyone would venture a guess on the type of snakeskin used for this Gucci purse.

The widest section of skin is approximately 6" (15cm). (There is a seam down the middle of the purse). Also I would appreciate any advice on how to care for it. Both the hardware and the skin. It doesn't feel dry, but I think it looks dry.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    Kind Regards,
    Margi
    HiVibe Living, LLC

[​IMG]

2. Hi Margi,

Your pic isn't showing.

6 inches is very wide for a snakeskin, so there won't be many options - also, could it be lizard? Many "snake" purses are actually lizard. I use lanolin to nourish the skins, best to do so regularly because the skins can easily dry out and become fragile.

3. Margi

Margi Registered Guest

Thanks so much for your speedy response.
    I was trying to insert an image from my shutterfly share site, but am clearly struggling.
    Instead, I inserted a url directly into the post.
    Hopefully that's okay.
    Thanks again!
    Margi

4. Margi,

It is one of the forum guidelines that you should post images rather than direct us to an external site - I can't find the link right now, as I'm getting ready for work but there are info threads in the forums that have instructions on posting images. Many of us (myself included) do not like clicking on external links either).

In this case I've had a quick look and can confirm that your purse is lizard and fairly modern (last ten years).

5. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Margi,

This could be anaconda.

Victoria

6. Actually, I've just compared it to the cobra skin I submitted to the fur and skin resource and it looks like it could be similar - cobra is a large snake too.