1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help identifying vintage blanket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tonyb29, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Tonyb29

Tonyb29 Registered Guest

Screenshot_20201220-085450_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20201220-085450_Facebook.jpg

I had a blanket from my grandma and it was my absolute favorite. At some point in time between moving, it got lost and I would love to have another one. I've tried researching but have had zero luck so I'm hoping people here can help. I remember it being relatively thin, not really a blanket maybe, it could have been like a chair or couch cover, but I used it as a blanket. This is the only picture I have of it. It was yellow, orange, green, and brown, and I think had a lot of small floral patterns on it also

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2020
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I just tried to edit and use the larger image version for you. But I honestly cannot make it out. Perhaps it was a mohair throw?

3. Tonyb29

Tonyb29 Registered Guest

This was pretty smooth, it wasn't soft or fuzzy at all. Im thinking it wasn't intended to be used as a blanket, but maybe a covering of sorts

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

The details of your photo are really hard to make out. Am I correct in thinking you are talking about the patterned textile to the right of the cat-in-a-box?

it looks like some sort of jacquard - that means the pattern is woven through, and you usually see a reverse color version on the back side.

5. MagsRags

Have you been to Etsy? Try searching "vintage jacquard coverlet" there. Most are not the colors you describe. but is the overall look and feel right?

6. Tonyb29

Tonyb29 Registered Guest

Yeah the blanket to the right. I can't quite remember what the inside pattern was but that's possible! I vaguely remember it being slightly different

7. Tonyb29

Tonyb29 Registered Guest

It looks pretty close. Those look like they might have a texture pattern on it though, almost raised patterns. The one I remember was pretty completely smooth on top

8. MagsRags

Jacquard can be in a range from smooth to highly textured, depending on the type of thread/yarn used and the tightness or looseness of the weave.

The smoothest jacquards are often referred to as damask - think fancy tablecloths. And of course, sellers will frequently use keywords and tags that do not really pertain to their item, hoping that if they can get you to look, you will change your mind about what you want.

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I tweaked the photo a bit, for more clarity...such as we can get

MysteryBlanket.jpg

10. Tonyb29

Tonyb29 Registered Guest

Thank you! I've tried to edit the photo best I could but my skills are not quite there yet

11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Could it have been a fleece throw? Those were super popular in the 90s and 200os and still are. Was it your Grandma's and she gave it to you as her old blanket? Or was it a gift from her, so could have been more contemporary?

12. MagsRags

The OP said it wasn't soft or fuzzy, so probably not fleece.

13. Tonyb29

Tonyb29 Registered Guest

It belonged to them at their cottage on the lake, I guess it was there when they bought it. It was a nice keepsake because they don't have the cottage anymore. I used it to its max purpose and it got shredded unfortunately