1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with authenticating Whiting and Davis Gold tone mesh bag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DotCom3, May 12, 2018.

1. DotCom3

DotCom3 Registered Guest

Hi Everyone

Not sure if I’m doing the right thing by creating a new thread or if there’s already a thread dedicated to identifying Whiting and Davis mesh bags. If there is, if someone could please direct me to that thread.

I bought two W&D bags today. The one I’m certain is authentic as it has all the W&D markings on both sides of the metal frames and includes the model number which corresponds to those I have seen on other sites discussing W&D bags.

However, the other one I’m uncertain about because it doesn’t have the W&D stamps at all, but it does have a lining printed with Whiting and Davis. It also has clasp made up of W and D. I am not able to find any information on such a bag and have thus come here for some help.

I would appreciate it someone could please let me know,

1) whether it is authentic
    2) and if so, from which period
    3) in which value range does it fall

Thank you and here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Hi there! Beautiful bag. No one on VFG can authenticate or appraise but can most definitely help with a discussion that will provide you information to help you research. *Most* WD bags, my experience will have a stamp on the interior frame - does yours? And do you have a close up pic of the model #?

I believe this is 1930s-1940s but not 100% positive where exactly it falls, at this time. This one will take some research, well worth it.

Oh, look with a loop REALLY close along the frame and clasp. Sometimes the marks are hiding there. ; 0

DotCom3 likes this.
  3. DotCom3

DotCom3 Registered Guest

Hi bycinbyhand

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate any help that I can get

I’ve searched with a magnifying glass and sadly still cannot find a stamp or model no. It’s so clear on the one bag - both Whiting Davis stamps, the Made in the USA stamp, as well as the model number and with this bag - nothing.

I’ll see if I can google some more and hopefully someone on this forum can still help.

Warm Regards

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

May I ask, what color is the metal mesh, ....is it gold or is it silver? It looks 1970s to me, but that is really just a guess on my part. It may be newer than that too.

Hopefully someone will come along with more information.

Just to clarify, I believe that what Cin means to say is that while the VFG does have members who can and do appraise and authenticate items, we cannot do that here on the VFG Forums, per our Forum policies. It is not that no one here has the ability to do it, just that we are not permitted to do it here. Thank you for understanding.

5. DotCom3

DotCom3 Registered Guest

Hi Rue de la Paix.

Thank you for clarifying - and so noted.

It’s gold tone in colour. I think you may be right. When I compare the two bags - the one that has all the markings with this one, the frame of this one does not have that deep brassy tone to it.

Do the newer bags not have W&D stamps?

Thank you

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Uh. Thanks for the translation.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

8. Lin Finger

Lin Finger Registered Guest

Has no one noticed that the clasp itself is a stylized "WD"...? I'm just a novice, but I'd be guessing this one is from the period when they made reproductions of their older classic pieces- was that around their 100th anniversary, maybe- and is therefore somewhat more current. If the lining is authentic, with the Whiting and Davis name on it, this would be in keeping with that timeline. I'd like to know more about the brand, myself. Can anyone suggest where or how to research W&D in more detail?