1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with dating and info on military uniform

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Emily R, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Emily R

Emily R Registered Guest

I picked up this uniform recently and cannot find anything similar! I believe its a Navy nurses uniform but I cant properly date it. Any information or help would be super helpful! Its very primitively and seems very early.

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I don't think its a uniform, but rather a patriotic styled summer sports-outfit, c. late 1910s

3. Emily R

Emily R Registered Guest

Oh, thats interesting. I am confused by it because of the staining that looks like blood and I could not find anything similar.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The staining isn't blood - it's classic foxing - discolourations from any number of things - including old cleaning products, sweat, and mould. Because its white cotton you should be able to remove the staining with cleaning. Washing in soap and water will help, but I think its been there for a while, so you will probably have to use something like oxyclean to really get the staining out.You may want to remove the patch with the red stitching first because it may take out all the red colouration, or cause it to bleed. Also, if you use oxyclean you should remove the shell buttons first, otherwise they will get damaged and end up with a rough surface.

5. Emily R

Emily R Registered Guest

Oh ok, awesome, thanks. I had a much more elaborate story in my mind about this outfit. Do you have any idea on what to price something like this? I do resale but don't have much knowledge about this type of stuff. Thanks for the help also.

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The VFG can't give evaluations, but I can say these are usually in navy blue, so a white one is a little harder to find.

Emily R likes this.