1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help with Fabric ID, Vintage or New

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acvintage, Jul 21, 2021 at 1:43 PM.

1. acvintage

acvintage Registered Guest

Hello All ~ I have this blue fabric which I believe is a cotton matelasse. Second photo shows front and back closeup. I've washed it and it now measures 32-1/4" wide (selvage to selvage sides). I have been unable to find any that are this narrow and I can't tell if this is vintage or newer fabric. Any help is appreciated ... (P.S. 1st photo shows true color. 2nd photo was taken later in day.)

forum72121_002.JPG
    forum72121_001.JPG

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 2:40 PM
    GemGem likes this.
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG President Staff Member

It does look like matelassé to me, but I couldn't say if it is all cotton. It appears to have a metallic or shiny fiber?

3. acvintage

Yes, some of the threads look metallic but getting even closer they are actually matte and satiny looking. I'm stumped by the width of this fabric.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

5. acvintage

I should have measured before washing but if it did shrink I think it only did so by a little bit. Maybe it was 34"W before. I was hoping width would help with dating this fabric but I haven't been able to find ANY (new or vintage) matelasse fabric that's even close to being this narrow in width. There's a little more than 6 yards of it.

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG President Staff Member

Well, I believe the width points to 1930s or so.

7. Here is a wonderful article about fabric and their widths through the years. And some lovely prints.
    fabrics.net/a-stroll-through-fabric-stores/

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member

I am pretty sure that 36" wide fabric was still being made in the late 1960s, although most fabric meant for home textile use was wider - 48" or 54" by then.

9. acvintage

Thanks so much @anothertimevintageapparel, for that wonderful fabric article link. Just loved it and will keep for future reference.

10. acvintage

This looks and feels like it should be used to make a lightweight bed coverlet but the narrow width confuses me.

11. Linn

It could have been the center panel in a bed covering - how long is it?

12. acvintage

Not a finished product, just yardage - almost 7 yards.

13. acvintage

They are selvage (finished)
    forums_72421_001.JPG

14. Linn

It could be used for narrow throws, pillow shams, decorative throw pillows, slip covers, seat cushions, and upholstery on chair seats - or upholstery on a narrow settee - if you turn it. I've never heard of matelaissé used for clothing but it might make a nice robe!