1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help with smoking jacket/robe

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Melonie, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

I picked this up of a rack of nightgowns. I think it is a silk brocade. It is 52 inches long from top of collar to bottom with a waist that measures 14" across. The fabric is rather stiff and heavy. I have seen this fabric on a few different pieces.. usually dated as 40's or 50's. There are no labels at all on this garment. Anyone have any idea on age, value etc.. There are not tears or stains even on the lining. Thank you for any help.

Attached Files:

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That is an Asian produced brocade. My grandmother has a short Chinese jacket of the same fabric she bought in Hong Kong. Could be silk or a silk blend, hard to tell without handling or a fiber test. I agree with 1950s to early 60s, as these were made for export to the Western market then. Can't help with valuea here. I'd just check completed listings of very similar items to see if they are selling and for how much.

Melonie likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

4. I would have called your item a ladies dressing gown or robe rather than a smoking jacket, which was a shorter, and typically mens, garment.

An Asian print man's smoking jacket (seller claimed 1940s):

[​IMG]

Melonie likes this.
  5. I have almost the identical one. It is 1950s and it is a mans robe. Mine is very heavy stiff fabric. A rayon blend not silk
    I believe yours is too.

Melonie likes this.
  6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

This style has been popular for several decades... which exactly depends on a few things. Does it have shoulder pads? What is the lining fabric? The seams and finishing? The fabric? With a quick look, this looks late 1950s-early 1960s.

Melonie likes this.
  7. Melonie’s robe looks to have a waist measurement of 28 inches and the apparent fit-and-flare shaping appears feminine to my eye.

8. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

Thank you!! Hollis

9. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

Thank you Mary, Yes... not big ones like the 80's.. but yes.. small shoulder pads. Curious how you knew?

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

With the small pads in the shoulders I would say it is a ladies robe from the 40s or very early 50s. I have had this type before with the stiff woven fabric.

11. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

thank you Donna, that makes sense.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  12. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

Thank you I did not think about Rayon, I am not super familiar with fabric

13. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

It does have very small shoulder pads, not sure what the lining is. thank you Cin.

14. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

Thank you so much to everyone!! I learn something every time I am on this website.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  15. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Oh, small shoulder pads might make it late 40s...