1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with vintage dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TaraIndia, Jul 23, 2017.

1. TaraIndia

TaraIndia Registered Guest

Hi all,

I bought this dress on the weekend from a vintage clothing store but I am new to vintage fashion (although I do want to become more knowledgeable!) and unsure of era/origin and brand which I can't make out...Jason G, Tason G, Taron G? Does anyone recognise it? I'm thinking late 60s or early 70s (?) and maybe modified but am unsure.
    TIA

20170723_235834.jpg 20170723_234550.jpg 20170723_233548.jpg

2. TaraIndia

Thought I would also include the zip with the letters 'TYC' and the neck detail. 20170724_003321.jpg 20170724_003052.jpg

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like it might say LaJong

It looks 60s to me or very early 70s, also looks like it was shortened by the way the hemline is, so may have been a maxi dress to begin with.

TaraIndia and StitchesandSnags like this.
  4. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

I agree with both points.

TaraIndia likes this.
  5. Does it have a care label? Check the side seams of the skirt portion.

I'm going to suggest the possibility of it being a new-ish item. I see quite a bit of garments like this in my local thrifts (I live in a large metropolitan area): nice quality asian repros of vintage American styles. I've been nearly fooled by it. The label and zipper pull are making me think this might be a repro... especially since there's absolutely nothing on the internet about either.
    Either way, it's really cute! :)

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Got to admit, this struck me as a modern dress. I'd like to see the seams.

7. StitchesandSnags

So it seams...

TaraIndia likes this.
  8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I immediately thought the same thing. Possibly from Japan - it's that kind of style, and they have all kinds of weird label names. I agree, some of the estyles look deceptively vintage. I have seen shops full of them too in Australia and New Zealand... and even Dublin.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  9. StitchesandSnags

I'm from Canada and it's becoming an issue here too. That zipper looks relatively modern.

10. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I'm voting for recent. The label seems more modern. What do the seams look like?

11. Agree with others: it looks like a modern dress in a repro style. More information on seams and labels will help.

12. TaraIndia

Thanks so much for all of your great replies! It's so great to have so many experts to get info off. I thought the zip was odd too and same with the tag that it looked unusual and had two sets of numbers done seperately. There is no care tag, nor any evidence of the dress having one anywhere, I have been comparing it to a Diolen sundress (which I will post about soon as I need advice on some seams). I will post the seams below.
    I know what you mean about Asian repro dresses, there are heaps of them here- usually from Japan or Korea, some are lovely but run in tiny sizes!
    Either way, as a modern dress, I like that it is unique and well made :)

13. TaraIndia

It was very difficult to focus my phone camera on the seams, but they seamed to turn out alright.... hope they are ok for you.
    20170724_203108.jpg 20170724_202045.jpg 20170724_202145.jpg

14. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Yuppers. Looks contemporary to me. : )

15. StitchesandSnags

I stand corrected. Ut appears to be contemporary.