1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need helping dating a Chinese robe

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintage Runway, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

This silk embroidered robe was handed down to me from my grandmother. I don’t have an idea of the age. The embroidery looks like a couching technique. The threads look like metallic. Can anyone give me more information about this robe? Thank you very much!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I had a blue silk jacket at one time very similar with the same type of metallic embroidery. I dated mine to the 1930s. Let's see what others feel about this beauty!

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

We have a similar coat in our collection using the same technique of embroidery, but with fur trim at the collar and cuffs. I thought it was prewar, probably late 20s, but then an 'expert' on Chinese embroidery saw it and dismissed it as postwar and didn't think it was much of anything. I was a little taken aback by his response, but I am not sure if he was right...