1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need info on a label.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Dutchie, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie Registered Guest

The label reads : Furs of distinction
    Frank Okarski
    Detroit Mi.
    It is a knee length black fur coat.

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

First, welcome to the VFG forums!

It will help us with dating if you can post a photo of the label and a photo of the coat that shows as much detail as possible. It's a bit of a long shot though to get detailed information on that particular retailer. As this fascinating article from a Detroit publication states, "At its peak in the 1950s, more than 100 fur retailers dotted Detroit’s shopping landscape."

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. Dutchie

Dutchie Registered Guest

4. Dutchie

Dutchie Registered Guest

I am not even sure on the type if fur it is.

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I am not a fur expert - we do have a few here, and hopefully, one of them will be along soon.

At first (semi-uneducated) glance, it looks like it might be sheared beaver.Have you browsed through the VFG Fur Resource?

6. Dutchie

Dutchie Registered Guest

I found a sm white tag pinned in the sleeve. After looking closer at it , I found a date of 1954. It is very faded but I could make it out with a magnifying glass. 20200926_194210.jpg

7. Dutchie

Dutchie Registered Guest

Any ideas what the numbers mean?

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like a very pretty coat! I think the white tag is from a furrier from when the coat was stored during the summer months. This is called Cold Storage and it is still done today. I cannot help you with the type of fur but I agree it looks sheared. If you are able to get a clearer closer photo of the fur, one of our fur experts might be able to help. You could also look through our resource and see if you see something similar:

https://vintagefashionguild.org/fur-resource/

denisebrain and MagsRags like this.
  9. Dutchie

Dutchie Registered Guest

I would like to thank everyone for their help. After closer inspection of the fur, I discovered that the fur coat was in fact in poor condition. I do not think that it was stored correctly. It appears to be dry beyond repair. I found spots that the fur was worn thin. I do believe that it was sheared beaver. And that there was some age to it. I believe that I will try to find a way to recycle what I can from the coat. Maybe a teddy bear?.
    Thanks everyone!!