1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need more help with shoe dating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jthomas6759, Dec 11, 2004.

1. jthomas6759

jthomas6759 Registered Guest

once again, i need some help with shoes....
    first pair palizzio-custom made (almost all of her shoes were custom made?) feels like white suede and brown leather sling backs with tiny peep's, chunckier heal, have original box. appear to be rather old -40's?
    [​IMG]

orange i.miller custom made again for georgia mae johnson (has her name imprinted in shoe with the label. what do we call these cutout paper doily type of thinges? (i love these)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jacqueline orange sherbert pearly stiletto with pearl polk-dot bows pointed toes (probably the most recent pair) 60's?

[​IMG]

petite debs pearl gray with clear (what do we call this) and rhinestone trimed bows (again 60's?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and these great nos mens summer shoes with original box, never worn, tiny little holes all in them (what is this type shoe called) original strings and all, just great-

[​IMG]

and finally these beauties....i miller again, choclate velvet, gold beads (none missing)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    all of these shoes came from the same lady - and all size 7 1/2 - 8!
    once again, thank yall' in advance, i know you will have just the info i need-
    julie

nanniestreasures on ebay

2. I think our resident Shoe Expert - Jonathan (kickshaw productions) may be away for the weekend. Have you read the Shoe Workshop thread? You may be able to find some of your answers there before he returns. If you haven't read it, it's definately worth it!! I think you can find it under the Workshops section!!

Cheers ~ Maureen

3. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

wow julie - you've got some great ones there!

i'd be prepared to do an ugly sister for those yellow ones.... make sure you put them in 'sneak previews' when you list!! afraid i am no help with dates as i'm no shoe expert, just admiring them!

harriet

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

First, I. Miller was a very good maker.

Second, the size range is excellent.

And third, it looks to me like you have 3 pair of great 40s platforms. And they should do very well for you.

The men's shoes are casual oxfords and the leather is perforated, but I am sure there is a more specific name for this style. As to dating the stilettos - Jonathan really did great job on this in his workshop.

Hollis

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

WOW - you got some REALLY nice shoes there!

The men's perforated pair are difficult to date accurately as they could be as early as the mid 1950s or as late as the early 1960s. They are fashionable without being trendy, so they would have been a good buy back in c. 1956ish -- you could have worn them for 8 or 10 years!

The two pairs of open toe stilettos are c. 1956/57 ish. The Stiletto is introduced just a titch earlier than the pointed toe, and these are classic examples. The big bows on the vamps are typical of the mid 1950s, they get smaller after 1956, so I would say c. 1956 on both pairs.

Now! Your platforms. The spectator pair are the oldest of the lot and might just date into the end of the War, but could be just post war as well. That is because of its tiny peep toe. The brown suede pair with the gold beadwork are probably just post war, and the yellow pair with the spider lace appliques on the vamp could be as late as 1953ish, but could be as early as c. 1949ish. The wide open toe is more 50s in style. These yellow ones are REALLY hard to find. Most platforms are black, brown, navy, or grey. As soon as you get an interesting colour they are rarer. However, the brown suede with the gold beadwork will probably sell the best if they are a good size.

If I were you, I would try to get $125.00 for the brown suede, $100 for the other two pairs of platforms. The men's I would try to get $45 - 65 for, and the stiletto heeled pairs, probably more like $25 - 35, depending on their size. If they are a 7 or 8, they seem to sell best. Large size and small size shoes don't sell as well for me.

I can tell you, if I had a dress or suit that the yellow pair matched I would be all over them. Fortunately I don't, so I can save some $!!!!

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Oops, I missed that you said they were size 7 1/2 - 8... in which case the prices I gave are bottom end.

7. jthomas6759

jthomas6759 Registered Guest

yeeee haw!
    believe it or not, i paid $1 a piece for these. She had later, more old lady kind also, but i was in awe of these. they are my size too, but have to by gifts still, so they have to go. She also had two great pair of go-go boots made of of plastic of some type. a bright red pair and a white pair with red and blue flowers. she had folded them over and they had both melted on to themselves....i nearly cried, they were great. but i am doing a little happy dance now just with these :P. i will post tonight. i am so glad i found you all, and i am really learning. i had the dates of these about right (except for the mens) but would never have guessed they would be worthy of possible high sales. thank you again for all of your help, yall are just great.
    julie
    nanniestreasures on ebay:D

8. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I love them all! The spectator platfroms are beauties and combine two of my favorites styles!!!

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Condition, size and desireability are all in your favour right now for these. The only thing going against you are the economy and time of year for selling. You can always do what I do and put a basic price for what you would accept on them as the opening bid and a BIN of what you would like to get for them. In which case I would put $125.00 on the two pairs of plats, with $49.99 opening bids. The brown suede with beadwork I would rephotograph if I were you. Clean them up as best as you can, remove the white dot fluffs and brush the suede a bit to remove the wear marks as best you can. They I would list with a $99.99 opening bid and a $200.00 BIN. If you can make them look nearly new you will get the price. The scuffs will hold them down though. If you have suede renew spray, I would give them a shot of that.

10. Wow!!! What fabulous shoes. My faves are the brown beaded pair! Here's to some good sales for Christmas money for you!!!!

11. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Julie -

The platforms are stunning! And you got them all for a dollar a each?! Amazing. Good for you!

<b>Harriet</b> - you said

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what, exactly is an ugly sister?!

:)

Carolyn

12. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

lol! sorry carolyn:

i meant the bit in the fairytale cinderella, when prince charming turns up with poor old cinders' glass slipper wanting to marry 'whomsoever fits the shoe' and her ugly step sisters frantically try and crush (and worse in the early 19C brothers grimm version of the tale) their enormous feet into the dainty shoe - in a vain attempt to win the hand of the hot, rich man, before his rightful bride can even get her socks off...

anyway, i'm sure you know the rest. i think pantomime season over here is getting to me!!:P i don't know if i'd go to that extreme myself - but i think i would suffer a low level of discomfort for an evening in them!

am still amazed at them julie and it's my 3rd look!

H