1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help with this 2Pc Photo heavy sorry..

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by inkedpalm, Dec 2, 2009.

1. inkedpalm

inkedpalm Registered Guest

I have this lovely 2Pc outfit but I am seriously challenged when it comes to fabrics. I believe this is a 60's, please correct me if I am wrong. I love it, should I try selling it without the little vest? Is it a Madmen type? The fabric is satiny with raised flora, kind of like felt, but I know it can't be that. It has rhinestones all over the bodice. The dress makes me wish I was skinny and 22 again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

yes very 60s... sell it with the vest but use the main picture without the vest...advertise it as a bonus...

fabric maybe silk or poly.. prob. silk and i am pretty sure the weave/pattern is damask.. but the inside lining looks like sharkskin

hope that helps and I am correct....lol

3. inkedpalm

Hey lady, good to see you! Thanks for the help. I do think it looks better without the vest, I'll use just the dress as the main pic.

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I'd be tempted to show a secondary shot of the vest with a cute skirt or pair of jeans. Or maybe find a short LBD (or white) to show it as a topper for. For some folks wearing it together would be too much pattern, but the vest will be just right in other circumstances. I would absolutely not split them up ,, though

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

damask and brocade are both made on a jacquard loom, but damask is usually flatter/thinner, most often monochrome and is reversible. I'd probably call this brocade. That blue & green brocade was very popular in the late 50s/early 60s.

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I agree with the dating (60s) and it being brocade. I also like the suggestion to show the vest with something else. It would be really cute with a pair of dressy black cigarette slacks and a blouse, or with a skirt or dress.... And with jeans, too, as Chris says.

7. A lovely set and the colours are beautiful. I'd also say the fabric is brocade. Just lovely! :)

8. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

FYI..... upon looking again and everyone correcting me... it does look like brocade..

Both are jacquard weaves (patterns made in fabric by weaving in different directions)

Damask- made of same material and color but uses the different directions on weave for fabric to catch the light and give its design. because of this the desing is reversable, one looking side like a negative of the other side.

Brocade- uses more than one color to get the same effect as damask, usualy making it thicker. It is very common for two similar colors to be used or contrasting colors. A big clue is one side looks better than the other (the inder side is usually very noticeable but not always.)

Hope that helps :)

9. inkedpalm

Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions. I think paring up the vest with another outfit is a good thought. Brocade it is.

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member