1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing info on a Christian Dior skirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jqalverson, Feb 10, 2015.

1. jqalverson

jqalverson Registered Guest

First of all, thanks for taking time to read and possibly answering my questions. I recently acquired a skirt made by Christian Dior which I believe to be vintage but I'm unsure of exactly what time period it's from. I've done some research but without much luck. Really, I'd love any information such as time period, apprx. cost then, apprx. value now, just pretty much anything you might know about this skirt. I have uploaded the pictures below. Thanks so much in advance. 20150210_161458-1.jpeg 20150210_161524.jpeg 20150210_161458-1.jpeg 20150210_161524.jpeg 20150210_161657.jpeg 20150210_161706.jpeg 20150210_161728.jpeg 20150210_161800.jpeg 20150210_161915.jpeg 20150210_162053 - Copy.jpeg 20150210_162128.jpeg

2. Hi jqalverson and welcome to the forums.

Your skirt looks 1980s and the label matches an '80s label in the VFG Label Resource too.

As per the forum rules we can't value or appraise it for you, but if you look at Vogue magazines (and similar) in the '80s you might get lucky and see it with an original sale price or find the same fabric or style and be able to narrow it down to a collection.

3. jqalverson

Thanks so much Nicole! I really appreciate you taking time to respond. I did read the rules before I posted, I just thought you may be able to give an approximation. During my research, I've been seeing a lot of sewing patterns. If it were made from a sewing pattern would it still have the Christian Dior tag that states its 100% SILK and Made In Korea? I wouldn't think it would if it were made by someone from the sewing pattern. If it were made from a pattern and not from the company would this decrease it's potential value?
    Also, can you tell me anything about the "Separates" line?

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would agree it appears to be a 1980s skirt, from the skirt length, pattern and colour choices. Also being made in Korea - you can get to know some eras by which countries clothing was being made in.
    This was not made from a domestic sewing pattern as your label has an RN number which you can trace back to the actual company that made it commercially. Here is the company assigned that RN number. This is not usually the same as the name on the brand label as they would have imported, manufactured or distributed it on behalf of the brand label company. A ready to wear garment such as this that might have been sold in a department store or an independant shop.

I see the word 'Seperates' on the labels of typically 1980s and 90's better quality brands. It indicates they might originally have sold matching colour/pattern garments to be worn mix and match with other clothing. This style might have also come in a blouse or jacket for example, or even loose tailored trousers.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  5. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

it looks 80s to me too.

just so you know, this is licensed dior. meaning the house of dior had nothing to do with it, except allowing their name to be used on the label.

catwalkcreative likes this.
  6. jqalverson

Wow, some great information! Thanks to you all! Could you tell me if it's worth getting appraised? Who would you suggest I have appraise it (I'm in the Carolinas) and a rough estimate of how much it would cost to have it appraised? Y'all have been a great help already!

7. joules

joules VFG Member

As it is a licensed separates piece, an appraisal would not be in order.

If this were mine, I would sell on ebay, or consign at a local brick and mortar store, and be pleased with any revenue that might accrue.

Catbooks1940s likes this.
  8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would not get it appraised personally. It's a great wearable piece of vintage clothing.

9. jqalverson

Y'all are awesome! Thanks again for your help!