1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Postal Rates - Ouch.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG News - Announcements and events' started by amandainvermont, Dec 19, 2015.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

HERE

Shipping to Canada has really gone up.
    But ... what's up with first class? lower in some cases, higher in others? Or do I need a nap?

inv_959xN.890585883_1ggigai1.jpg

EndlessAlley likes this.
  2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Looks like they brought the cost down a little domestically for 1st class, but for Canada went up!

The big change I'll need to really start factoring into my listings is the price jump for a coast to coast 1lb Priority package--wow! Half of my Ruby Lane customers are in California, so looks like it may be time to go from fixed to calculated shipping...

3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Postal rates going up are happening so often now. Too bad.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The exchange rate is horrible once again too, so you American dealers might see a noticeable drop off from foreign buyers...

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Yeah, I had noticed that already. My UK and French customers have disappeared.

6. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Yikes. Lots of confusion on shipping as a buyer and seller.
    Recently was asked about shipping to Australia a dress and jacket.
    With Priority a medium flat rate box is $61.75. I quoted $30.00.
    Now going up more. So sad when nothing can really be done about shipping.
    All leading to localization IMHO.
    If one understands the vintage and Antiques past field and this happens we basically will of come
    full circle.

7. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Thanks for posting, Amanda. Looks like I'll be working in the new year to change my remaining fixed shipping cost listings to calculated shipping.

8. One of the reasons I shut down my lovely website. the shipping tables are too confusing and they don't allow for weight or calculated shipping. so how the heck can I sell anything?????
    It is set up for the same size and weight items and "cost" shipping. sigh

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would not be surprised to know that the increase with USPS has something to do with what Canada Post must be charging to deliver the packages here for USPS...Canada Post has been upping and gouging us for years!

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Knowing what Swiss Post charge when I sell something bigger (or send out Christmas parcels), I have so far been ok with USPS shipping rates - and the stuff arrives here so incredibly quickly most of the time - it's the complete opposite the other way around when I send stuff the cheapest way. Not too much experience with Canada Post, though I know I spent a fortune sending stuff I'd bought home when I was at the language school in Montreal. For me in the end it depends on how badly I want the item in question - if it's something I really want to wear, and I know I will get a lot of wear out of it, I'm ready to shell out a bit more on postage. On the other hand, when I buy patterns for my shop of the shipping price as it ends to the end cost per pattern. I occasionally shop for lots on US ebay, and the shipping rates vary wildly from the very reasonable to ridiculous things like $20 or more for one pattern. However, the bargains are still out there, if one has the patience to do a bit of searching. Well, we'll see how this continues.

11. wyomingvintage

wyomingvintage VFG Member

USPS has been my best option for shipping for the last decade with the best service price and convenience. What a huge rate hike :(

12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Since recent hikes over the last 2-3 years in the UK what has happened is lots of middle man companies have started up operating parcel deliveries that undercut Royal Mail. They achieve this by buying bulk slots in major distribution company's trucks and dividing it to get a cheaper price per parcel, and also offering drop off/click & collect in collaboration with existing networks of convenience and catelogue sale stores. Their major success with this endeavour led to Royal Mail lowering the price of some of their parcel rates to compete with them for the lion's share of the parcel custom again. So win win for the consumer.
    I would hope something similar will happen in the US, though due to the size and distances involved I don't know if there is the possibility for new companies to get into the market the same way.

13. Well these rates all look very affordable compared to what we pay in Australia, which is exhorbitant. Australia Post are putting their rates up yet again, and cutting out letter deliveries so we'll only get them three days a week, not five. When I lived in the UK I was amazed to discover they got 11 a week! Is that still the case, Brits? Luxury.

I've had to take international shipping off my embryo Etsy shop because the cost is so high. I heavily subsidise it from webshop sales but still lose customers because many see $AUD 40 as too expensive. It usually costs me $60-80 to send something to the US or Europe.

14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I'm pretty sure we only get one delivery a day ( no Sunday delivery) they do tend to add extra deliveries on for Christmas.
    Letters and parcels are delivered seperately.

pinky-a-gogo likes this.
  15. Ah, perhaps it was only London that got two a day - and one on Saturdays.

16. Sartorial Eloquence

Sartorial Eloquence Registered Guest

UK domestic post via Royal Mail actually got cheaper for a lot of stuff after they realised their price hikes were losing them a lot of business. Small parcels within the UK tend to be about the same price via Royal Mail or cheap couriers, but Royal Mail charges extra for signed/tracked services, whereas cheap couriers like MyHermes include "tracking" (without signature on delivery) as standard. Unfortunately, eBay policies nowadays encourage sellers to obtain a tracking number, which means the more reliable Royal Mail services cost more, so eBay sellers are turning to less reliable services which use self-employed drivers who are paid per parcel rather than being paid a wage. They get no extra money for redeliveries, so if nobody is there to accept the parcel and it won't fit through the letterbox, some drivers will just leave it in an unlocked porch or outbuilding or even on the doorstep or in a rubbish bin(!) rather than try again later. The tracking number will then indicate the parcel has been "delivered", whether or not the customer actually received it.

17. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I don't use the courier 'tracking' without signature, as Paypal requires a signature as proof of delivery anyway.

18. PastPiecesVintage

PastPiecesVintage VFG Member

Our postal rates must continue to increase in order for the USPS to accommodate China's access to American consumers. The American USPS consumer is being sacrificed. If you don't think we're paying for this, you're delusional.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m12/i28/s03

www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m09/i17/s03

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2015/6/1434508451.html

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m10/i09/s02

http://www.google.com/custom?domain...www.ecommercebytes.com&q=usps+china&sa=Search

19. Sartorial Eloquence

Sartorial Eloquence Registered Guest

eBay doesn't though (at least not in the UK).
    Chinese sellers seem to be able to send lightish items to the UK cheaper than UK sellers can: there are some things I can buy from China for 99p including postage which would cost £2.80 for postage alone within the UK!