1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ErBear

ErBear Registered Guest

Just found this gem at a local vintage clothing shop. What type of fur is this? Owner said may be lamb. Are there different styles and quality of lamb?
    What time period? It looks like a pea coat style.
    What could be the value of a coat like this? The liner is coming loose around neck and sleeve ends.

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hello, We can't help with value you here but it looks like it dates to the late 60s, there are different types of lamb, and yours is broadtail lamb.

You can see more about the various lamb types here.

ErBear likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Can you see the actual skin on the underside of this, as on my monitor I cannot tell if it is broadtail or a faux fur broadtail.

ErBear and peaceful vintage like this.
  4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I did actually have the same exact thought especially with the way those cuffs look however that label and lining looks like a real furriers. It could still be faux though and be a synthetic crushed velvet. If it is I would like some salt and pepper on my foot please before I eat it. :hysterical:

The hind side may actually be visible where the lining has separated from the coat.

ErBear and poppysvintageclothing like this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

This one just simply puzzles me, as I have seen that sort of thing with those faux fur velvets before. I cannot see the label well enough so thought I should ask.

6. ErBear

ErBear Registered Guest

It does appear to have a hide/skin. And has a fur Label Authority tag in the pocket. Another question-what’s the best way to get a musty smell out of it?

7. ErBear

ErBear Registered Guest

There is a fur Label Authority tag in the pocket and it does look like skin/hide on the inside of lining. What’s a good way to care for this kind of fur? It has a strong musty odor
    Is this color natural for broadtail fur?

8. ErBear

ErBear Registered Guest

Thanks for replying!!