1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to this, need help identifying label and dating dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by vintage_store, Jan 4, 2019.

1. vintage_store

vintage_store Registered Guest

Hello,

I'm very new to this, so forgive me if I'm way off with my guesses. I got this dress from an estate sale and cannot find anything on this brand, Peer.

The top is velvet. The skirt has a metal zipper down the front, pockets, and the velvet stripes which are cracked in places. I would guess 40s or 50s. No other tags. What do you think?

IMG_20190104_110115.jpg IMG_20190104_110628.jpg IMG_20190104_110703.jpg

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome! What a nice find.

Judging from the look of the label, the full skirt, and the metal zipper, I think this is from the 50s.

vintage_store and denisebrain like this.
  3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Yes, it's a really nice design!

I would say it dates from the 50s too. That "velvet" striping the skirt, could it be a flocking? (see the description in our Fabric Resource here) Flocking can wear off.

vintage_store likes this.
  4. vintage_store

vintage_store Registered Guest

Thank you! Yes, I think it is flocking, but it isn't wearing off at all, only cracking apart along some seams.

5. I believe it's a hostess gown (dressing gown) rather than a dress that one wore out of the house. Though I didn't find any info about the Peer company, I did find several robes/dressing gowns when I googled, all claiming to be anywhere from 1940s-70s. Gorgeous!

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree with Donna, it appears to be a hostess gown. Probably had a belt.

Very interesting, and nice!