1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice Man's Robe - Era?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by amandainvermont, Dec 6, 2017.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I love this wool robe and immediately knew it was vintage. The only label is the remains of one under the loop in the back of the neck to hang the robe. It has a matching tie belt and a slightly fancy cuff. I get a late 40's / 50's vibe from this. Too optimistic?

cuff.jpg robeclose.jpg robe6.jpg

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

That robe is great! I can see where you are seeing '40's - '50's but I wonder if it might be very early '80's during the "Preppie" phase due to the length. (Remember "The Preppie Handbook" ???) This is just a guess, but it seems short for earlier. I will say the way the plaid is matched is fabulous. If I lived in Vermont and it wasn't too big for me, I'd keep it!

I'm sure the experts on mens ware will chime in!

3. Linn's right: it could be '40s-50s but it might also be more modern. How are the seams and hem sewn?

4. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I'm seeing 70s. I swear I had a suit (bell bottoms and a snap up jacket) in that fabric!

5. amandainvermont

OK - Now I'm really curious because the first impression of this robe was so strongly vintage to me. For starters it was so well constructed and the quality of the wool plaid seemed tops. Just that vintage feel, you know? It's a more subtle rusty red/orange as seen in the last photo, not bright. I know very little about seams and what they indicate, so I hope this will help. The first photo is a side seam, taken from the inside of the robe. It's quite long - I am 5' 8" and it comes to mid calf on me.

DSCF0001.JPG

The second photo below is looking down at the shoulder seam from the outside.

DSCF0004.JPG

And I believe (!!) the last shot is from the inside where the sleeve meets the side seam.

DSCF0002.JPG

6. Thanks for the extra pics: they look like flat felled seams so I'd expect vintage. Modern versions would likely use serged seams (although not always: menswear is notoriously much better constructed than womenswear).

7. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Could you post a shot of what's left of the label under the loop?
    I have an opinion but I would like to see that first.

8. amandainvermont

Thanks everyone for considering this. No snaps on the belt Linda, although it does have those same cuffs. Made me notice that the belt loops are generously sized - 3 inches. MS - not much left of that label under the loop! Looking forward to seeing your ideas.

DSCF0001.JPG

9. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Thanks! I am seeing late 1950s to early 1960s on it.
    We are all over the map on the dating, aren't we?
    It's really nice!

10. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Now that I see that label I concur with MS.

11. amandainvermont

Many thanks to all of you for your thoughts and advice. It will be taken!

12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I'm also in the earlier camp. I have some lovely 1940s/50's jaquard men's robes and they take a really wide belt too.

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

With that label, I see early 60s, although the fabric makes me think older than that. The manufacturer must still have had some older better quality fabrics to work with.

14. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I love the quality of that fabric, very rich looking, much like a Pendelton. That wonderful color mix with the orange and green plaid (as you show in the close ups) has a mid to late 1940s air to it. I find the color to be a good clue here. And the tailoring and seams look pre 1960 to me. My guess is circa late 40s to early 1950s.

Where are our menswear members?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  15. amandainvermont

Funny how this robe has generated so much conversation. I guess I will stick to my original impression - which is late 40's, 50's. It's the quality that speaks vintage to me. That tag is completely gone from wear, I assume, yet the light wool material is in tip top condition. Thanks again all.