1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Eduardo Travel Lite

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Cherry Picked Vintage, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Cherry Picked Vintage

Cherry Picked Vintage Registered Guest

Hi All! I was on a selling hiatus for many years but just started back up and excited to be a part of the vintage clothing community again :) OK, on to business... I have this Travel Lite jumpsuit lounger and have never seen this signature before. I also scoured google to no avail. It's signed "Edward"(not the more common Eduardo) and in my research I've concluded it's a print based off the work by Edward Bawden, a British artist. Can anyone confirm or have any additional info on the different fabrics used by Travel Lite? Thanks any and all help greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I'm slightly familiar with Edward Bawden, and I can't any connection between that print and his work?

3. Retro Ruth

I see he did design a few coins and some heraldry based stuff, but this still doesn't look like his style at all, to me, but if you show how you made that connection perhaps there's something I've missed.

4. Cherry Picked Vintage

I've been searching for an exact match and can't find one. I feel like it is similar to his work and it's signed Edward and it's a British heraldic print so believed that's it...would you have any other ideas on who "Edward" is?

5. Retro Ruth

I don't know who Edward is, but I really don't think it's Edward Bawden. It's just heraldic, which he has done, but isn't especially what he's known for. And those colours are not his style at all. ETA Edward Bawden's heraldic art works were lino cuts. I can't actually see much detail of the print, but they don't look like they are based on lino cuts.

Perhaps it's not anyone, just a manufacturer doing the add a signature to slightly Pucci like print thing?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  6. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

Here's what I clipped from a newspaper ad for Travel Lite dated April 1969
    I don't know if it helps solve anything, but all the ads made this clothing sound so comfortable I wish I was wearing it right now !
    img (4).jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  7. Cherry Picked Vintage

That ad is great! Thanks! I guess I'm falling down a stupid rabbit hole but research for me is part of what I love about collecting vintage! Eduardo Paolozzi was a post war British artist and his early 50's work is the pre cursor to the mid 50's British pop art movement hence the pop art pucciesque prints on the loungers signed Eduardo. Edward Bawden is also a British post war artist and is considered having done is most humorous and innovative work for the brochures of Fortnum & Mason in the heraldic style. Seems like it's just an homage to these guys and it's not actually they're art on these loungers if even that. Not sure yet...but, I'm gonna keep looking. Yes, I'm a nerd! Thanks for your input, I super appreciate you taking the time to help :)

8. Retro Ruth

I really think you are barking up the wrong tree with Edward Bawden.