1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novelty print dress??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pinkie, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Pinkie

Pinkie Registered Guest

Hey guys, bought this dress at an estate sale for $3. The novelty print is so cute(or at least I think that's what its called) its kind of slick with a slight stretch to it. No shoulder pads but it has these little white cloth snap things on the shoulders like to snap it to the hanger. There are pleats around the collar bone area with long pieces at each side of the front zipper. The zipper is a talon and I don't think its metal. It came with a matching belt. I got some pictures of the inside structure. I've never found a front zipper dress, I'm not sure how to date it. Thanks for any help! KIMG2408.JPG KIMG2409.JPG KIMG2412.JPG KIMG2416.JPG KIMG2413.JPG KIMG2415.JPG KIMG2411.JPG KIMG2414.JPG

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Pretty dress! A front zipper for me usually means it's some kind of house dress. The bands with snaps at the shoulders are lingerie guards and they are meant to go around your bra straps to keep those in place. The fabric sounds like it might be some type of synthetic fibre. A burn could help to determine that. I am guessing it's from the 60s. How are the seam edges finished - or are they not finished at all? I'm thinking it might be home made but am not sure. And what does the print actually depict? I can't really see that. It looks like a toile jouy-like print to my eye - then I would not call it a novelty print.

3. Pinkie

Pinkie Registered Guest

Thanks! Interesting to know they are lingerie guards. The seems are not finished, I've actually had to resew a lot of the seeming it was coming apart. It looks homemade to me as well. The print is trees, a train, and a guy pulling a cart.

StitchesandSnags likes this.