1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Little Bag - Any ideas appreciated

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by PhoenixSisters, Jan 27, 2023.

1. PhoenixSisters

PhoenixSisters Registered Guest

Hello - I've been lurking here a while as my sisters and I start the daunting journey of trying to clear my grandmothers home of 60 years hoarding antiques and vintage....

We've been able to identify a lot of her several hundred bags (thank you!) but really stumped on this one. It has a cellulose frame, velvet body and an embroidered Asian-esque scene. Seems to be hand made. We have other more classic Japanese leather hand tooling and some 1920s cellulose framed pouch bags, but this one is a weirdo and I can't find anything similar at all.

Any ideas when/or what it might be!?

20230122_130713.jpg

20230122_130616.jpg

20230122_130344.jpg

2. sues*stuff

sues*stuff VFG Member

I remember that style being very popular when I was in high school in the late 60s-early 70s, but I think they were made over a wider time frame.

Sue

lkranieri likes this.
  3. PhoenixSisters

thanks Sue :) That's a helpful start! Any idea what the style would have been called? The issue I'm running into is too many components to the search throwing up other embroidery/shape/materials.

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

This is so sweet. Usually bags like this that I have found are larger and I have called them knitting bags. I think they sold kits to make them.

PhoenixSisters likes this.
  5. PhoenixSisters

That would make sense! Thanks I will keep researching and try looking for kits with similar patterns

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

It's like a Bermuda bag, although those feature removable covers. But wait! Do I see the ghost of three snaps showing at the top of velvet, where it might be detachable from the handle?

7. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Oh yes - a fabulous and unusual Bermuda bag!

8. PhoenixSisters

OOOH! I will ask my little sister to investigate the poppers and send an update! I think you may be right!

9. PhoenixSisters

You were correct! Poppers! It's detachable. I wouldn't even have known to look for it though it's obvious now. Thank you :)

Attached Files:

10. sues*stuff

sues*stuff VFG Member

I don't think this is a knitting bag--those were larger.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I have never heard of a Bermuda bag - what was the purpose of the removable cover?

Agree it's too small to be a knitting bag. Though the handle style is similar.

12. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

The purpose is to change out the cloth covers for variety.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  13. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

As well as changing covers, sometimes the cover was reversible. So you could pop the cover off, turn it inside out, and pop it back on for a different-looking cover.

14. I agree with a Bermuda bag style, but older than the typical 1960s. The ones from the 60s are more preppy modest looking.
    With the frame I would suspect at least the late 30s 40s.

It is the nicest I have seen.

15. PhoenixSisters

Yes it's definitely less peppy happy than these ones! Thank for the info and the nice feedback on the bag. Between the handle being cellulose (I think) the fading of the velvet and my grandma's preference for buying stuff that was already vintage in her collecting heyday (60s to early 80s) that timescale makes sense to me. Also some of the other bags found in that area are closer to that timeframe. I'll add a few below for ref, pretty sure these are a 20s cellulose frame with a newer bag pouch added and a 20s/30s tooled leather Japanese tourist clutch with celluloid elephant details. And then another oddball that is tomorrow's research project!

PXL_20230120_161934955.jpg 20230109_155650.jpg 20230122_130909.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2023
  16. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

No idea about the first bag, though it's sweet - but the other three are really faboulous! They look 1920s-30s to me.

17. PhoenixSisters

20230122_131247.jpg
    Thanks Midge! Using the helpful resources here and then researching out I think the first two are definitely 20s/30s.

Have no idea about the third one, it has this absolutely huge mirror and has a sort of embossed detail with gold I associate more with books than bags!

denisebrain likes this.
  18. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh, that mirror would have been super handy! I'm not handbag expert, but looking at my books, my guess ther is 1920s-30s as well.

19. PhoenixSisters

Thanks for looking! I need to get to a library and dig some stuff out for myself, the internet is great but I'm a book gal.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023