1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Brown / possible food stains on 1920s silk

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cloudsofviolet, Sep 19, 2020.

1. cloudsofviolet

cloudsofviolet Registered Guest

hi!

Yet another stain / cleaning post. Will dry cleaning "set" stains? I've a 1920s green chartreuse dress with a number of brown and light brown stains that look like some kind of food stains or splash or drip stains.

I was thinking a soak, but I don't want to fade the color of the dress, thus the dry cleaning question

Thanks again

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Well, cannot say for sure about your dress, but yes, dry cleaning can often set a stain.

Vintagiality likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

brwon stains are often sugar based - wine or champagne. They are hard to remove once they have oxidized to brown, and dry cleaning won't remove them.

Lady Scarletts likes this.
  4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I have been successful in removing such stains with Wineaway but you would have to test it in an inconspicuous area first

5. cloudsofviolet

cloudsofviolet Registered Guest

Thank you!! Will test the wine away, fingers crossed. The progress on this dress is amazing already in itself, the splash looking stains that were once bordered in brown and did not budge at all when spot cleaned are gone with a quick wash.

The solid brown stains lifted alot with just plain water, so will test w/ wineaway.

Of course, as with any garment this old, there was alot of dye loss but no color loss