1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Velvet and rabbit (?) fur maxi-coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Mad Catter, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Mad Catter

Mad Catter Registered Guest

This garment looks like someone added the fur collar because the velvet at the top became too heavy or weak. On the close up, second from last picture you can see what happened to the velvet underneath. There's a few spots under the fur that I can access and it looks like there are other similar tears there.
    The rest of the coat seems to be still quite strong.

Can anything be done to support the fabric from behind? It's stored flat but I'd like to wear it at some point.

I used the flash to make the sleeve and collar treatment show up just because it gorgeous. Included a shot of the pocket style if that helps anyone who could offer a date on this as well.

Thanks again for any guidance offered, much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. 30s and lovely.

Mad Catter likes this.
  3. Mad Catter

Thanks Deborah, much appreciated. Another one that I need a good excuse or event to use. Working on it :)

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there, normally in furs when there's a separation providing the pelts are not completely dry rotted you can use a sturdy backing to make it hold together however I don't think you can do that with the velvet.
    I'm thinking that you might need to take that into a seamstress for an opinion at least, maybe a few if you don't have anyone that you know you can trust.
    All dry cleaners or most have seamstresses. It's very difficult to find one who's good with vintage but if the general consensus is the same then the chances are better that they're right.

5. Mad Catter

Hi Caryn,
    Thank you very much. Good idea. They have a small sewing and alteration school that I've been meaning to check out. That might be just the place to get a second opinion. I've already sent an email to our local art conservation people at the university. They sometimes help the public with regular questions.
    Sadly we don't have any dry-cleaners here who work with vintage items. They all sort of look at me like I'm nuts for wanting to clean such "old stuff", sigh. One even looked like she was afraid to touch an old silk and lace wedding dress that I brought in to ask about.