1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One more of my finds - the 40s dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Second last of my recent finds! This was the last-minute one. Just before we had to be back at my friend's apartment to pick up my luggage and go to the airport, we paid a last to the Humana shop nearest to her. We'd been there a week before, as usual one of our first shopping destinations. And lo and behold, there was lots of new stuff around, and so was this incredibly cute 40s dress!

40ssummerdress4.jpg

It looked pretty tiny, and at the shop I didn't dare tugging at it too much and decided I couldn't get into it. Besides, half of my make-up would probably have landed on it if I had tried further :rolleyes:. So I bought it on the off chance that I could still get into it, the price was low enough. Anyway, now at home, sans make-up, I was, oh wonder, able to wriggle my way in and out of it - and it fits just nicely, it's not tight at all! It just needs a dry-cleaning (fabric has some rayon content I suspect, it doesn't feel like it were just cotton) and probably a new zip that matches the fabric, otherwise it's ok.
    40ssummerdress3.jpg
    Contrast enhanced, to make some of the details visible. The sleeves have a bit of puff on the shoulder.

40ssummerdress2.jpg
    Homemade, and I think it was made for someone shorter than me rather than having been shortened later. All seams are done in the same way, very narrow - maybe a sign of shortage of material, even though the skirt is pretty wide. Feels nice and swingy!

Karin

2. Nicola-Ann

Nicola-Ann Registered Guest

It is a beautiful dress and the detail is just lovely! I like the shape of the sleeves.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

That's gorgeous, and I'm sure you'll find loads of occasions to wear it, so classic. That looks like an original 40s zip, so I expect you are right that it was made when/where there were shortages in the 40s, otherwise you'd expect someone to get hold of a black zip to match.