1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One use of vintage costume jewelry

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Nov 16, 2012.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I went through a stage where I was collecting vintage butterfly and flower pins, which I would crowd on my coats' lapels. I made this "piece" (?) for the greenhouse - butterflies hovering over flowers, with a few frogs in the left hand corner! My plant customers actually brought me some more. Gardeners are good people.

framed.jpg

2. So pretty, Amanda!!

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

We need to find you one to fill that empty spot! A nice way to show off your brooches and you have the perfect place to display this particular collection, your greenhouse!

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

That's really fun, Amanda!

When I first started on Jewelcollect, an online Jewerlry Forum, one of the members mentioned that she "plays" with her jewelry and makes little vignettes. I thought that sounded fun I paired this WWII bird with an early 1950's Trifari flower:

Brooch Combo 1.jpg

I never wore them like this, but I still have both of them - in my collection.

Mad Catter likes this.
  5. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

That's wonderful, Amanda! And a perfect way to fuse your vintage and greenhouse personas... :sunshine:

Your vignette is lovely, too, Linn.

I read that Dita Von Teese displays her collection of art deco brooches on framed black velvet, and selects her daily jewelry from the "composition".

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

That's lovely, and Linn's too. I love playing with jewellery.

I was once selling at a spring fair where all the sellers were asked to bring a floral theme to their offerings. This was my promo photo:

FlowerJewellery.jpg

7. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Love everything! And Linn the jewelry vignette is a wonderful idea. I'm going to go through my limited selection, add to what I have, and create a few of my own to wear!

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Great ideas and wonderful jewelry! My best friend loves spider and bug pins and she has loads of vintage costume jewelry. When she got married this summer, she wanted a bouquet she could preserve, so her work colleague who's into crafts made her a nice little round bouquet of white fabric roses, each with a white pearl in the middle, and told my friend, to find some of those bug pins in her collection to decorate it. Ok, she found a lot more than she'd thought :) - and so some of the bugs and also some small flower pins went on the bouquet . I was one of the witnesses (it was only a register office wedding), and for me she made a pearl bracelet with one flower, and also a little bug on it. Here's just a quick shot of the bouquet (I won't post images of her... sadly she has an ex-boss who grew a little too fond of her and who seems to have spent quite a bit of time on the net looking for photos of her on public forums etc.).

bouquet.jpg

Karin