1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oriental over mantle type embroidered silk cape - 1920's?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hattysattic, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

oriental over mantle type embroidered silk cape - 1920\'s?

I bought this yesterday along with a rather nice 30's outfit and another kimono style robe. I am a bit unsure about dates - it is slightly cocoon shaped in cut and I have a similarly shaped evening cape in black - but that is a lot more tapered in at the bottom. Is it 1920's, or is it a later thing do you think?
    I took the pictures last night and the lighting is a bit weird (I was experimenting as I've moved the backdrop etc....have got it sussed now but these are a bit shadowy!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a very lightweight silk, and machined with hand embroidery. Good condition with the exception of a tiny 'v' shaped nick in the back of the collar, and some very faint colour transfer onto the orange edging.

TIA!

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

That's a tough one...
    The shape is certainly 20s. The loose sleeves too. If it were later I would expect tighter fitting sleeves. Also by the 60s I would have expected to be more than likely rayon, rather than silk, although they were still being made in silk, but usually brighter colours and damask backgrounds. The plain black ground also looks older to me...

I don't know, but I think its a good bet that its 20s.

3. noir_boudoir

noir_boudoir Registered Guest

nothing to add, just *suffering-vintage-shopping-withdrawal* as a result of this post.

As you were...

L :BAGUSE:

4. Hattysattic

Poor Lyn. I do apologise...
    Thanks very much Jonathan, it would make sense that it is 20's as it was in with a few other things that I was a little more certain of the dates for! But nice to have a second opinion as you may know by now that the earlier it is the shakier I am still! :)

5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Oh no, Lin!!

There has to be at least one little shop you can duck into in the vicinity (i hope) :)

6. noir_boudoir

noir_boudoir Registered Guest

I don't leave my office much at the moment.

But there is, erm, ebay...

The best thing is random thrift shops with promisingly circulating stock and not-too-astromical prices. I have a severe shortage of those.

There are expensive, dusty and overstuffed vintage shops within 20 minutes walk, but I'm usually disinclined to give them my money. And for those, I prefer having company and leisure, when I'm not 'hunting'.

Sorry this has stopped being about the lovely overmantle!

7. Hattysattic

that's fine - i've put it away now anyway ;)

8. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Expensive, dusty and overstuffed...doesn't sound to appealing but i know my curiosity would get the best of me.

Hang in there, Lin, and hopefully it will find you instead of the other way around lol