1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original Chelsea Girl suit & Dollyteens label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vmode, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Vmode

Vmode Registered Guest

Hi forumites,

I've been trying to find anything similar to my Chelsea Girl skirt suit, because to be honest I'd like an idea of the kind of prices the label averages at so I can eventually sell it.. but can't find ANY original CG items for sale right now online! Anyone seen any other garments on their travels?
    [​IMG]

Also, anyone know anything about the 'Dollyteens' label?
    [​IMG]

2. Hi there, I am from England and was a teenager when this was around judging by the style. Personally I havent seen or heard of the label, which may suggest its not a well known brand, as I probably would have heard of it, being the little fashionista I was!! Sorry I can be of more help, I will keep my eyes open.

3. Vmode

Vmode Registered Guest

Hi Linda,

Are you referring to the Chelsea Girl piece? According to my Mum, who shopped at CG in the early 70s, the company had boutiques all over the country and were well respected on ze fashion scene.. She had quite a few pieces apparently, I wish she'd kept some!
    I know the company was founded in 1965, as the UK's first fashion boutique chain, but closed in '88 to change it's name (and look, trends, ethos) to River Island which is still a popular high st name today as you probably know... RI has recently brought back a 'Chelsea Girl' line in stores, based on original designs.

I didn't think it would be so hard to track down the original garments! Eyes peeled..

- Ava

4. lizzietree

lizzietree Registered Guest

I have an original chelsea girl dress which i believe is very early 80s or late 70s. Could you possibly show a pic of the label and i can check wether its the same? I only have the one piece at the moment, but i have had others in the past.
    Also, what fabric is the suit?

The Dolly teens label is familiar. I am throwing a complete shot in the dark here but maybe it is related to the Dollyrockers label (Sambo fashions, Sam Sherman). We shall see....

5. Vmode

Vmode Registered Guest

Hi Lizzietree,

Here's the label, the fabric is wool and I'd say it was from around the early 70s..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did you sell your previous items if you don't mind me asking? As I don't have a reference point for the piece I'd hate to let it go for less that it's worth!

And that's what I thought initially about the Dollyteens label, but haven't found any mention of the Dollyrocker label having a younger line and it's quite stylistically different from their label in that era... Perhaps just a company jumping on the Dollywagon!

6. lizzietree

lizzietree Registered Guest

Yours is the earlier label than the one in my dress that i have at the moment (its late 70s but with a 50s flavour)

The last Chelsea Girl item i sold had that label in, i think it was early 70s, this is going back probably three years ago on ebay and I am sure I sold it for around about £30. I think now that RI have re introduced the Chelsea Girl line there is more interest in it (well I've seen prices go higher at least)

7. I just LOVE that dress! When I went to Univ. of Aberdeen, in '85, I shopped at Chelsea Girl because it was where all the fashionable college girls went. I actually bought a bikini there, if you can call it that -- it was only a bottom, and not much of a bottom at that! A sparkly electric blue g-string. Alas, I was young and heading off to Greece on holiday. My swimsuits are MUCH larger these days ; ).

8. Oops, forgot my original point. I had a Norma Kamali maillot (from Bergdorf-Goodman, no less) in 1981 that had a nearly identical stripe pattern (size, color, direction) as your Chelsea Girl dress. Definitely a similar vibe. Angled black and white (not taupe) stripes, plunging V-neck. It was fabulous!