1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Orvis" Label dating?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Josh H., Jul 18, 2018.

1. Josh H.

Josh H. Registered Guest

Did a search and was surprised to see no information on Orvis here. Anywho, i'm looking for information on an older Orvis tag, specifically the decade it is from. I have had a lot of run ins with some vintage Orvis (typically 80's & 90's) but have never seen this tag.

This label was affixed to a sport jacket that is also made with Harris tweed, so i'm pretty excited to get this one dated since i have also never seen a blue Harris Tweed label.

Attached Files:

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Hi Josh, nice Harris Tweed. Looks like this may be circa 80s by the Harris Tweed label and it’s notation of a “registered trademark...”. We have many examples of HT labels in our label resource. It’s such a classic style it can be difficult to pinpoint a date. Harris Tweed has been know to help people date items by the number, however. You could try writing them if you would like to narrow it down.

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  3. Josh H.

Josh H. Registered Guest

Ah makes sense, i should have tried to date it by the HT label not the Orvis label. I just dig Orvis gear alot and got a little over excited. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

4. Pleasure. Good luck and do let us know if you hear back from HT.

5. Josh H.

Josh H. Registered Guest

It seems you were right on the money with 80's being the decade. HT told me this label was issued in 1976. Which is a little disappointing since i was hoping for a much earlier date. Still a cool coat though.

6. Great that Garris Tweed got back to you and you were able to firm up dating. Thanks so much for letting us know.

Please consider adding both labels to our resource. A square on shot of each would be best, if you are able.