1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Osh Kosh B'Gosh labels

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lisa Turner, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Lisa Turner

Lisa Turner Registered Guest

Hello. I'm looking for help on identifying age of Osh Kosh clothing by using the inside tags. Is there a way to tell "Date of Birth" from using the inside tags? Thank you!

2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Interesting question Lisa. I had a brief flirt on the internet and saw some quite distinctive differences in labelling and button stamps. If wiki is to be believed the company changed it's name to oshkosh b'gosh in 1937. The earlier items I have seen are adult ware, the children's line didn't really take off until 1960 and it was a smaller part of their company at 15% in 1979. (all in the wiki)

What I have seen are some adult overalls/coveralls advertised as 1940s-1950s which have a common theme of a green outline on a white label and what looks to be a shamrock with a green outline stamped into the buttons. Children's ware becomes much more common in the 80s and 90s. I have had a look at some old adverts as oshkosh's tend to have a very visible label. I think the earlier examples of adultware overalls just had the label positioned at the back. I also found an advert of childrens wear with a blue label stating they were celebrating 100 years, which would date it as 1995

[​IMG]

Edit: Just realised you were asking about the inside tags... yes there are lots of ways to help identify the age but not sure if there is a particular number to identify year. Can you post a picture so people can help you identify your garment/s

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Numbers to identify years are very rare outside of Haute Couture, as far as I know. But care labels, what they say, fabric composition or the country in which a garment was made can also point to dating a garment. And of course full-length photos of your items - please post those as well as images of all labels they have.