1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT: A 70s house for your 70s clothes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Patentleathershoes, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

This is our very latest real estate offering. I normally don't talk about real estate here, but I just HAD to show you guys this house because its a little bit (okay, a big bit) of a blast from the past (which the owners get a huge kick out. They waited long enough to be considered "retro" LOL). They have changed very very very little over the years. It reminds me of some of my aunt and uncles houses when I was a kid.

[​IMG]

Let's step back in time and take a look inside.......Shall we?? LOL

Your feet are cushioned by authentic 1970s gold shag carpet... What would you call that wallhanging/mirrored shelf?? I think the only thing that is missing is a bean bag chair. I know the blue and white throw is throwing the look off from true authenticity :)

[​IMG]

Not as good of a shot with the tv there..but showing the door with its original insert. Here is the "ladies chair" in burnt orange that matches the gent's chair in the other shot.
    [​IMG]

Driftwood lamps and sunny flower power :)
    I WANT those peacocks!
    [​IMG]

Fondue, anyone??
    [​IMG]

The harvest gold appliances have been replaced...sorry!
    But some makers ARE coming out with those colors again.
    [​IMG]

Other features include shower doors with frosted swans on them, bedrooms with original 70s bedroom furniture - think boxy and low to the ground with plenty of storage in the headboards, again with gold shag, and a second bathroom as welll. (still workingon some other pics). Select furnishings may be available to the new owner.

(its located in Florida if anyone knows someone who is a 70s lover or is looking for a little winter or vacation getaway home in an uncongested area!). (or is shooting a 70s film ha ha)

We hope to find a 60s house next (though they are much more scarce in our immediate area - updated OR original). If i find another blast from the past that predates this, I'll show you all for fun :)

2. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

Oh that's fabulous!

Are you sure that gold mirrored thing on the living room wall wasn't brought from their previous digs? It sure looks 50's.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

This house is the perfect frame for Edith Collins, Vera, and Jello 1-2-3! Waves of nostalgia are overtaking me!! ~~~~~

4. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

I'd fight you for those peacocks Chris! :USING:

5. Love those lamps! My, does this bring back memories. Is the peacock room what you call a "Florida" room?

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Things to do to finish off the living room and make it a perfect trip to the past:
    Replace the white 80s lamps with the driftwood lamps in the breakfast room
    Smokey mirror wall tile the far wall
    Buy a Mediterranean console Television Hi-Fi cabinet
    Buy the BIGGEST ashtry in the world for the coffee table.
    And what about a fibre optic thingie somewhere...

7. That's great Chris. What does a home like that go for?
    Funny you should mention that it would make a good movie set.
    Do you remember when I posted about my parents next door neighbor's house. It is a fifties Cliff May that they totally restored and decorated in fifties style. It was on the cover of Atomic Ranch magazine last year. This is it.
    Anyway, Kevin, the owner, told me just last month when I was out there that his house has an agent...lol...I had no idea this was possible. There are actually location agents out there where they represent your house or business for location shoots.
    They have shot a couple of commercials and a CSI Miami at Kevins house! ANd it is good money too.
    Here is his house on the locations agent webpage. They just do Long Beach but maybe there is a Florida agent down your way.
    Marie

8. Patentleathershoes

Linda...we don't have florida rooms here, we have "Lanais". I guess people only have florida rooms outside florida as they think florida is one step up from where they live weather wise, and then Hawaii would be one step up from us?? (i don't know the real reason!) (but yes, that is what you might call a florida room :)

Kristine - you are probably right. I never saw anything exactly like that. I think its funky.

What struck me most about this house is that most places...unless you buy a spec home or a model completely furnished and then replace appliances and lamps as they break down, there is a lack of a "collected look". I know this particular one wasn't a model home in the past. Even if someone buys a house new, most people can't afford to buy everything in one shot. You might use grandma's dining room set for awhile and then your new set will be 15 years newer than the rest of the stuff in the house etc. The only thing I am guessing is they moved to florida, and decided to sell all their stuff aside from a random tchochke and buy all new stuff here.

Marie - the asking price of this particular home is $119,900 and it also has an outdoor workshop with electricity. (and others are of course less expensive or more expensive based on size, location and condition(

I surfed around and i didn't see anything about location agents in florida. We aren't in the major thoroughfare like Miami, though.

9. Patentleathershoes

But you know what...I bet someone would film here - in this area in general - if they wanted to pretend it was a different area - maybe not like Miami, but wanted to pretend it was Orlando before it really got built up in crazy and before Disney came in. If you didn't see the newer homes that are here, its more like 40s/50s florida here. Or actually there is a town nearby that no building has been built downtown since about 1961/62

10. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

LOL Marie!
    I'm looking around that agent's site... I just saw pictures of the bar in LB with the BEST garlic Worchestshire burgers... a local dive bar that we've been to a few times... another bar a friend still works at... a house around the corner from Rob's parents... the theater I used to do Rocky Horror at... a couple restaurants we frequented... the high-end liquor store that Rob's childhood friend works at... a bungalow I almost rented when I was single.... a thrift shop I still hit when I'm in the area...

and the list goes on and on.

So odd to see them like that!

11. Patentleathershoes

12. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

:clapping: OMG....like a stroll down memory lane. ;) David and I were married in '73. I can so relate to each room! (and I probably still have alot of that 70's stuff around here somewhere) :D

Gail

13. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

What a fabulous house!!! Makes me think of The Ice Storm (gawd, I love that film!!!)

Liz

14. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

LOL Maggie (!) - Jello 1-2-3 (you never know what's going to strike a chord ~)!

;)

Carolyn

15. Patentleathershoes

16. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

What a gas! But it's missing the 70's colors we see up here in the Northeast, at least from what I can see! Where's the avocado, gold, lavender paint on the walls?

I'm in real estate, too, and the 50's retro look is big here--that is, for the mature & sophisticated buyer with a sense of fun & history! We are in the process of re-retro-fitting our 50's Cape Cod, though thankfully much of it is still original--right down to the porcelain-tiled floor with the itty bitty squares and black & white ceramic tile on the walls--all in outstanding shape! Now, if I can find a contractor who will put down gym-style flecked linoleum in the kitchen, I'll be well on my way (my contractor wants to lay sheet vinyl or ceramic tiles down & I won't let him!).

17. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

<i>Now, if I can find a contractor who will put down gym-style flecked linoleum in the kitchen, I'll be well on my way (my contractor wants to lay sheet vinyl or ceramic tiles down & I won't let him!). </i>

Haha! We're laying down the SAME stuff! I want the floor BLACK with some colored tiles randomly tossed in. My GranPapa thinks I'm CRAZY!

18. MyVintageCocktail

<i>We're laying down the SAME stuff! I want the floor BLACK with some colored tiles randomly tossed in. </i>

Ooohh, I love it! I wanted to do dark green with lighter tiles tossed in, but DH won't let me do the dark green. So, I'm going to go with a light, almost white, tile with flecks of green, yellow, red, and blue--to go with my "tacky 50's Italian" to-be kitchen in white, yellow, green, and red! Complete with, if I can muster up the energy, fruit stencils on the white soffitt above the cupboards!

19. Patentleathershoes

I remember those floors! At my gramdmother's house they had white linoleu with black crazy lines that looked almost like puzzle pieces. And they couldn't find a kitchen table that would fit in the spot and also fit all 7 of them around it, so my grandfather made the absolute coolest table. It was attached to the wall on one side, and curved at the end. It had cloudy light green glossy laminate on the top, and the side/edge was a thick 6" black. and it had one leg at the end. It looked cooler than i am feebly describing it.

As far as this house above, paint was the only major thing that was updated decor-wise, and buckets o'paint are not too expensive ....good thing it was repainted at some point just for our sake. This way, someone who wants it a retro pad can envision it that way and paint it and be all set. If someone doesn't care about that, the walls don't make the shag too overpowering and they can picture it "their way." You know, i like the set up...its so much more homey than the vaulted ceilings we have in our house. I almost want to tell my husband why don't WE buy it and move ha ha.

20. MyVintageCocktail

Chris, it IS a neat house; appears very well kept if not "updated." And I love the mirror on the living room wall! And thank God they did update the paint, as nothing, save a ratty kitchen, turns off buyers more than room after room after room that is painted too dark & needs painting! Most of 'em will live with a room here & there that needs immediate paint, but they get depressed if there isn't at least one or two that can be lived in as is!