1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT: RIP Johnny Carson.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Patentleathershoes, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Johnny Carson has died of emphysema today. it was just announced. He is not a figure of the fashion industry (though he DID wear some snappy suits!)..but he certainl made an impact on american popular culture.

Rest in Peace, Johnny.

2. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

Oh that's too bad - I used to watch his show all the time, he was very funny. Jay Leno just isn't the same.

Deb

3. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

My Dad and I always watched Johnny and then once I got married,
    Paul and I watched him. I was so sad when he quit the show in the early
    90s.

He really was one of a kind and a true tv icon of the 60s/70s and 80s.

:(

4. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

So sad....all other late night comedians will be judged against him...He was the best!!!

Gail

5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I think he figured he wanted to go out on top instead of waiting years later when his heart was no longer into it, his health was bad, or other reasons. He wanted to be remembered being on top of his game in people's minds.

I remember we (me, a few of my cousins) thought we were such hot stuff as young kids on the odd occassion that we were awake way past our bed time and adn got to watch his show. As we grew up, it was not such a big deal to be up that late, but we still watched it.

It just reminds me how much has changed...kids didn't have televisions in their bedrooms like a lot do now, and there really was a sense of "appointment viewing" that hardly exists now with cable, satellite, and TiVo. (people have "their shows" but if you miss it, its on again ina few hours)