1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT... Zucchi kitchen towels by Milvia

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Mar 25, 2014.

1. I came across the cutest kitchen towel recently. I have a "thing" for tea towels and couldn't pass it up. Well, it turns out that towels by Milvia are quite collectable. They were made in Italy for Saks in the early 70s, it seems (there's very little info available.) The one I have is titled "moda", which is Italian for "fashion" so I just had to share it here. :) Has anyone else heard of these adorable towels?

Attached Files:

2. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

I too love tea towels and can never pass them up when I find them.
    I sold one towel by Milvia last year --one from the "Days of the Week" cleaning series.
    They were sold in higher end department stores in the 1960s-1970s--Not just Saks.

I have never seen the fashion one above--that is really fun--I would want to keep that!
    [​IMG]

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. I'd never heard of Milvia towels until yesterday. I bought it because it was so darn cute and, of course, I loved the theme. I did intend to keep it. Unfortunately, when I find that something may give me a sizable return, I get itchy fingers.

5. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Wow, that looks very much like the print on an apron I have for sale on our website! I think that the signature on the print was something else (not Milvia). Maybe it was Zucci.... Now I will have to check again. I know nothing about them, and didn't recognize the name--but I thought that the print was awfully cute! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

7. Amy, that apron is so similar! The woman doesn't look quite as skinny and tall, however. Do you have a photo of the signature? I wonder if another company/artist was imitating the style of the Milvia towels or if this is Milvia herself before or after doing the towels. (I don't even know for sure if Milvia is an actual person, lol!)

8. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

I think I need that apron in my life!!

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Gayle you so do!

10. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think we all know that dilemma!

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  11. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

I am SO close to actually buying it, I really am!!

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I never saw these Milvia items before, but I can now see why they sell for so much, as they are wonderful.

Whenever I have a few minutes I look for information about the artist, but all I found of interest is THIS, which links her/him to Italian ceramics.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  13. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh my, I love that apron too!

I googled a bit more - that blog above says that they were made by Zucchi, and the company still exists: http://www.zucchi.it/en/about-us. This small Wikipedia entry suggests at the bottom that a woman called Milvia Scarpa drew these - a search with her name came up blank though. http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milvia

14. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

The plot thickens, on my apron: the signature is "Theo" with a little dragonfly emblem. So, not Milvia, but perhaps an imitator? What do you all think?
    [​IMG]

15. More examples, and apparently there are lots of eager collectors out there (I can see why -- how adorable!). But still no info on the artist Milvia, or this mysterious "Theo" --

Code:
    http://niceandfancy.blogspot.com/2010/09/italian-tea-towels.html

16. zilchist

zilchist Registered Guest

OMG, it's so cute...who is the designer? fresh color, simple line. For me, i just can appreciate it but not use it:wow22:

17. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

this isn't milvia, and a different style, but I had to share a recent acquisition. It's a nice Irish linen.

The cutsiest tea towel ever:

image.jpg

vivavintageclothing and Pinkcoke like this.