1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peplum Power-the VFG parade for the week of January 30th

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG Fashion Parades' started by carla rey, Jan 29, 2023.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Peplum Power

This week the VFG is all about the power of the peplum. Be it long or short, flared, poufed, pleated or ruffled, a peplum is a skirt-like addition to the lower bodice of a garment. Purely decorative in nature and designed to accentuate the waist, the peplos was first seen in 500 BC, and consisted of a large swath of cloth cinched, and then pulled up at the waist to create volume right around the hips.

We have Elizabeth I to thank for introducing the peplum as we know it today. Taking her inspiration from a mens' doublet, wearing a peplum served as the ultimate statement in feminine power-dressing, reinforcing the appearance of strength at a time when women were viewed as the "weaker sex".

Revived repeatedly throughout modern history with each era adding its own unique twist, the peplum's popularity surged post-WW2 when the fabric rationing mandate was lifted and Christian Dior unveiled his now-iconic "New Look" collection. This silhouette became the modern definition of a peplum. Peplums reigned supreme on the runways of the '80s and '90s as edgy designers like Thierry Mugler and Claude Montana pushed the proportions in more extreme directions, introducing wildly exaggerated and asymmetrical shapes.

Peplum fashions have been making another comeback having recently been sported by the Princess of Wales as well as Hollywood royalty on the Red Carpet at this year's Academy Awards.

This week the VFG says: Peplum to the People!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2024
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I love a good peplum! Photos are clickable links

At magsrags.net, an 80s houndstooth jacket by Emmanuelle Khanh
    [​IMG]

this 50s silk dress by Teri Jr features an asymmetrical peplum
    [​IMG]

And a late 40s to early 50s cocktail dress with coppery sequinned arrow embellishment in a larger size (42/33/44")
    [​IMG]

On Etsy, this 80s dress has a peplum that extends down into panels that remind me of a jellyfish
    spenceralexisbelted.jpg spenceralexisbelted.jpg

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

This Paul Parnes dress from the 1940s has a beautifully executed button accented peplum along with slim zippered sleeve (hems) and a gorgeous sarong draped skirt back. B39/W26 Now available in The Vintage Merchant:

083.JPG

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Simplicity 1912_1.jpg
    1940s dress pattern Simplicity 1912

Simplicity 2182_1.jpg
    1940s suit pattern Simplicity 2182

Sewrite 8658_1.jpg
    1950s blouse and skirt pattern Sew-Rite 8658

Vogue 1189_1.jpg
    1980s evening gown / cocktail dress pattern by Kasper, Vogue American Designer 1189

Neue Mode 21317_1.jpg
    1990s party / Cocktail dress pattern Neue Mode Young Collection S21317

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I ❤️ Peplums!

This late 40s dress has a ruched peplum
    Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 1.35.41 PM.png

This is my own 40s dress
    myflowered40sdress.png

Previously sold 50s dress labeled Sue Leslie - California
    blackpeplumsueleslie1.JPG

Oh, another favorite was this 30s Peggy Hunt Jean Carol label dress
    Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 2.34.31 PM.png

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  8. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

9. Noble Vintage Clothier

Noble Vintage Clothier VFG Board Member

10. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

11. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

12. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

13. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

14. 80s does 30s BLAKE ELIZABETH tan and blue floral chiffon dress with wide flutter collar/sleeves and peplum waist. Size 14 petite. Made in Taiwan ROC. Available in my Etsy and Poshmark shops.
    PhotoRoom-20220521_113432_8.png

LIZ ROBERTS black and white geometric print dress. Puffed sleeves, peplum waist and big bow trim. Size 1x. Circa 1980s. Made in Korea. Will be listed soon in my Etsy and Poshmark shops.
    PhotoRoom-20230130_101342.png

Butterick #3546 dress pattern. A JESSICA HOWARD design. Though it looks like a jacket and skirt combination, it's actually a peplum fronted dress. Sizes 12-14-16. Copyright 1994. Will be listed soon in my Poshmark and Etsy shops.
    PhotoRoom-20230130_101552.png

Simplicity pattern #9017. Easy to Sew peplum jacket and skirt set with big, puffed sleeves and shawl collar. Sizes 10-12-14. Copyright 1988. Will be listed soon in my Poshmark and Etsy shops.
    PhotoRoom-20230130_101404.png

This sweater is one of my all-time favorites from my SOLD archives. Something Heidi would wear, IMO.
    1+PhotoRoom-20220106_135654_3.png

Fashion Backward Shop on Etsy
    Vintage clothing on Poshmark

15. MissBilliesVintage

MissBilliesVintage VFG Member

16. MissBilliesVintage

MissBilliesVintage VFG Member

Thanks! I hope so too. my little 7 year old was scandalized when I put it on. He thought I was totally nude under the lace. Haha.

17. BlackLotusVintage

BlackLotusVintage VFG Board Member

18. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Jolene, you always have the most perfectly steamed–out clothing. So good!