1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perfume odor beautiful vintage hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LeAnne, Jun 18, 2008.

1. LeAnne

LeAnne Registered Guest

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and need some advice. My friend owns a thrift shop and she acquired some really nice vintage hats. One being a black Saks Fifth Ave hat with a crow and net (? widow's hat??). Others are also very unique. Unfortunately, some of them has strong perfume odor, which I cannot stand. Is there anyway to get rid of the odors? Should I just stay away from them. Thanks for your advice.

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Leaving them outdoors to get aired out may help somewhat.
    It requires patience and good weather but it might well help.

3. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

I have always used crumbled up newsprint paper or newspaper.

Why don't you purchase one and see. Get a plastic trash bag and place the hat in it..stuff the crown with newspaper (if it is a dark color) and then surround it with newspaper. Leave in for 1 or 2 days and then replace with fresh paper.

See how that works. After that, maybe just placing outside on a porch to get fresh air.

Oh, and welcome! :hiya:

4. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

sprinkle inside with bicarbonate of soda, good old fash remedy that actually works..if not want to put inside it....sprinkle on old tea cloth and place inside.....!!
    will soon be fresh as a daisy..

5. LeAnne

LeAnne Registered Guest

Thank you for all your suggestions.