1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

:help: :help: :help: :help:

What is the best way to photograph labels?

All of mine tend to come out a blurry...

I have aquired some really intersting ones including a Valentino Intimo but I haven't been able to get any really good images.....

Any tips or suggestions would be wonderful!

Vicki

2. In my experience, the best way is to have a top quality camera with a lens that has a 'Macro' setting. It will enable you to get really close-up, clear photographs just like this one. :)

I use a Nikon D70s with a Nikon 28-105mm lens and always use a flash-gun with it. Not the cheapest cameras on the market but this one was second-hand. A good camera and lens will be worth the initial outlay. :)

[​IMG]

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Getting crisp label shots was a challenge for me, too, before I got a camera with a macro setting.

DH got me a Sony Cybershot as a b-day present a couple of years back, and now I can put the camera almost right next to the label I'm trying to shoot and have it come out wonderfully clear.

4. nostalgic*collections

Ooooh.... I have a macro setting.... never used it before! I have a Nikon P60.

I'll be giving that baby a try.

Thanks ladies!

5. nostalgic*collections

I don't have a flash gun, yet.

Any suggestions on where to get a reasonably priced one? What is a good brand?

Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm not exactly sure what a flash gun is per se.... I'm going to sound like a dufus but is it one of those umbrella thingys?

6. The flash-gun looks just like a small light box (thingy!) that slots on top of the camera.

Using a Macro setting is easy. Just focus on something really close-up, and click the button as if you were taking a photo, then 'flick' the setting to Macro. I'm no camera expert as you can tell, but that should do it. :) When you want to put it back to the normal setting, focus on something far away, take a photograph, and flick the setting back. Hope that makes sense. :)

7. nostalgic*collections

You are so wonderful! MUCH appreciated!

8. You're very welcome. :)

9. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Scanning them is also a good way to do it. Just pop the piece of the garment on your scanner and make sure the label is flat. Works like a charm every time. Also, if you wanted to just take a picture of them a tripod is a good idea if your hands are not steady. Being out of focus makes them blurry, but motion does too.

10. nostalgic*collections

My wish list is growing my the moment... tripod, flash gun, backdrops.

I either need to make friends with a photographer or considering doing that on the side, too! LOL.

11. joules

joules VFG Member

Vicki, just use the macro setting, out in natural light. That's what I do, and then crop it down, in your photo editing program, right around the label. Be sure to get in pretty close when you take the macro shot. You will be amazed. It took me awhile to discover that setting!
    Example:
    [​IMG]

Here is a photoset of some of my label pictures:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/76982768@N00/sets/72157604503659078/

12. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

Louise,
    do you use the flash gun in addition to other lights? Or by itself?