1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pierre Cardin Label, but Is it Really a P.C. Dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Kietzman, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Jennifer Kietzman

Jennifer Kietzman Registered Guest

My apologies for the authentication question! Please ignore.

If this label really goes with this dress, judging from the VFG label resource, it’s a late 50s Pierre Cardin dress. It has beautiful, geometric seam work that resembles pictures I’ve seen of Cardin’s 60s designs, and a jauntiness that indicates to me (perhaps for irrational reasons?) that it was well-made, but the hem is roughly done and the buttons on the back of the neck seam cheap. Any thoughts?

front.JPG label.JPG top.JPG angled.JPG side seam.JPG back.JPG top back.JPG for your time!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi Jennifer. I'm sorry but we cannot authenticate items shown here on the forum. You may take it to several venues that offer this service and should look at the item in person.
    The labels in the VFG resource are examples known to have come from garments of those eras. It does not mean those particular labels weren't used in other eras or that matching labelled garments must be from the same era.
    This dress looks 1960s mod to me. I have a similar dress from this period by another brand that also has this neck fastening - I would suggest buttoning it up as the collar should stand up and this will give quite a different look to the dress.
    The french 'Jeunesse' on the label is the equivalent of a english language label stating Miss, Younger set, Young madam etc. to indicate a more youthful line intended for a younger buyer.

Jennifer Kietzman likes this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

It looks very much 60s to me - cute mod dress. Can we see a photo of that roughly done hem? Maybe it was altered in some way.

4. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Jennifer, great dress and it looks very 1960's to me- love that collar. The zipper may have been replaced at some stage as well, it is not sewn very well, I agree totally with Karin's suggestion of alterations at some stage of this garments life.
    I hope you can find out if it is original.

5. Jennifer Kietzman

Hi Karin,

Thanks for your reply. I'll take a picture of the hem tonight and post that later tonight.

6. Jennifer Kietzman

Hi Gayle,

Thanks for your input! When I take a picture of the hem, I'll also snap one of the zipper. I'll post the additional pictures later tonight.

7. Jennifer Kietzman

Hi Melanie,

My apologies for the authentication question; I should have known that this wasn't the proper venue for that. Never again! And yes, you're right about buttoning it up at the back. Thanks for the tip, as well as the label info!

8. Jennifer Kietzman

I've just added a few additional pictures - of the zipper pull (which reads ailee), the hem, the fabric (which has a sheen to it and is slightly nubby) and the inside of the zipper. I hope these are helpful. Thanks, again, for your assistance!

Attached Files:

9. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Jennifer, thanks for the extra pics.
    That zip is interesting as the stitching of it seems fine- now I am wondering if its just the way it was pressed at some stage of its history, that makes it seem 'wobbly' from the right side of the garment.
    As for the lining that we can see in the inside zipper photo- where does that end, is it at the hip? as perhaps the lining went to the hem originally, which would explain the rough hem finish.

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I agree the hem looks like it was changed, as it's not equal in width around the hem nor it is finished to the same standard as the outer fabric seams. Re: zip fabric showing: I'm wondering if it was washed at some point and the outer fabric shrank. Mind you the worst of that zip would be hidden with the collar done up. Washing might also explain the pilling (I'm not convinced it's supposed to be 'nubby' personally).

11. Jennifer Kietzman

The lining ends at the hem, actually, though it is not attached. The roughness of the hem just can't be as it was originally made. It just looks too shoddy - I feel certain the length was modified at some point. The funny thing about the lining, is that the V formed on the exterior side seams is echoed on the lining, which strikes me as evidence of a well-made garment.

12. Jennifer Kietzman

Hi Melanie,

It never occurred to me that it might have been washed but maybe so. The "nubs" are definitely not pills. I do wonder what the fabric is, but I haven't yet spent time looking at the VFG fabric guide, ie with regard to this dress, though I will. At any rate, thanks for your help!