1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me date this Waldybag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennie, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Jennie

Jennie Registered Guest

IMG_2123.JPG Hi. This handbag belonged to my Grandmother (born in 1918). She obviously never used it. It has a mirror and purse. I would love any information about which decade it is from etc. I have not found a photo of a similar one online. Thanks.

MyVintageCocktail and GemGem like this.
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

English...I've not run across any Waldybags in my neck of the woods, but I'd estimate 1950s with that neat little structured shape. How does that hangtag compare to this one? http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O69940/waldybag-handbag-and-purse-h-wald-co/ I see a similar motif in the hardware of this bag: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/572801646338036421/ which was 1950s-era according to the person who sold the bag (which doesn't always mean much).

How lovely to have your grandmother's bag in such fine condition!

Jennie likes this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thats a beautiful example in the op! i was just researcing waldybag a little and came across this thread. The history of Waldybag is wonderful, there is a great deal of information and it has had the recent exhibit Denise has shared. I also found a youetube vid made by his granddaughter.... who has the MOST AMAZING Waldybags ever!!! I was unsure wether it's ok to post the video here? @denisebrain , It is very informative.

Edit: It's actually a facebook video she has created on her waldybag facebook page so i'm not sure if a link would work anyway, unless you already have a fb account.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Jennie likes this.
  4. Jennie

Jennie Registered Guest

Hi @GemGem and @denisebrain. Thank you for your replies! I would be really interested to see that video Ge,Gem if you are allowed to post it. I don't know if there is a PM option on this site because maybe you could send it like that? It's been nearly 4 years since I posted and I still have this beautiful bag which I don't know much about. How come you are researching Waldybags? Do you have one?

5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Yes, I actually have three! They are not brand new like your beautiful !waldybag and two have a sort of crown gilt clasp to the top.... I'm checking them for dating, I believe they are all 1950s. CF0226A7-FFB7-4110-B1BA-63A5CE1AAFDF_1_201_a.jpeg

Jennie likes this.
  6. Jennie

Jennie Registered Guest

Lovely! Please let me know if you find any interesting info. I will try and check out the facebook page. Thanks.

GemGem likes this.
  7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I think you should receive a notification as I have started a conversation on your profile with the link :)

8. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

qe2.jpg

I think Waldybags became popular once it became obvious that certain members of the royal family (QE2 and her mum) favoured them, although HMQ actually preferred Launer but nobody but her could afford them! Wald & Co had made reasonably 'fashionable' ladies' gas mask bags with long straps, which were the law during the war years and therefore considered rather infra dig once the conflict ended. After 1945, women quite rightly wanted to tell the world 'look at me, I don't have to carry a gas mask anymore" and so Waldies were the most prized bag - with shortie handles being de rigueur of course - right through the 50's! I used to have a nice little collection of Waldies once.

I don't know my Waldies as much as I do my undies, but that's 1960's I'd say, IMHO. Here is a pic of QE2 and Ted Heath (PM between 1965-1975) with President Nixon. Her bag is a Launer but the shape is quite similar. On that I rest my case, m'lud. Tip: in a society as conservative (small 'c') as the British, using logo typography as a dating guide is a trap for the unwary. They'd use the same logo for decades, deliberately, because that's what people wanted to see.

Notice how the Queen holds her bag very closely so that Ted can't steal her purse from it to help prop up his failing economy.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Vintagiality, GemGem, Jennie and 2 others like this.
  9. Jennie

Jennie Registered Guest

@NylonNostalgia, thank you so much for your reply. Yes the shape, handle and clasp motif are very similar to the Launer in the photo.
    LOL at your last sentence!

NylonNostalgia likes this.