1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me Indentify Vintage Labels

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LaToya, Jun 9, 2012.

1. LaToya

LaToya Registered Guest

Hello. I have aquired a Vintage Lot of Beautiful and Interesting pieces of clothing. I love this site! I was able to research quite a few of my labels by using the Label Resource Guide. But there are still some labels that were not represented. Please take a look at the following and give me your expert opinion. Thanks in advance!

I've have a few more so please check back.

1-Recently Updated8.jpg
    1-Recently Updated6.jpg

1-Recently Updated7.jpg

More Views are available at:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/1119...ms/5752119478494150241?authkey=CL-H8O75qerMNg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The Pat Hartley dress and jacket is mid 50s - 54-56.
    I can't really tell what the other two things are - the black chevron velvet coat looks 60s? and the black taffeta theatre coat - late 50s - early 60s?

3. LaToya

LaToya Registered Guest

Thank you Jonathan. Wait.. there's more.

How about these images below?

1-Recently Updated13.jpg 1-Recently Updated10.jpg 1-2012-06-09.jpg 1-Recently Updated9.jpg 1-Recently Updated11.jpg

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I like that crazy black and white striped coat thing although I'm not sure when its from - early 60s maybe? The tweed suit is definitely about 1970-71 - when the midi skirt was the new hem length (a lot of them were split like that to appease mini-lovers.) Dressing gown - no clue. THe orange dress looks 1964/65 because of its Courreges-like welt-seam modernist styling and it's too long to be later, unless its 1970-71 and also a midi - that modernist style is still being made then. The flowered frock -mid 60s?

5. LaToya

LaToya Registered Guest

Jonathan.. you're a walking history book! Thank you so much. I too, love the black & white get up. I even tried it on. :clapping:

1-Recently Updated15.jpg 1-Recently Updated14.jpg 2-Recently Updated12.jpg I have a few more..

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

You have found some great pieces! Theres's no question that Jonathan knows his fashion history!

It might help you narrow down the time frame of your pieces if you learn when the different union labels were used. We have this information in the LR under ILGWU. Your orange Fifth Edition dress has a label that was used from 1963-1974. http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/ilgwu/

I did just a little bit of search for Joan Leslie. That label looks familiar to me. Sometimes when you do a google search you can find some information about a label by finding other items that are available. I found a blog by one of our members, Couture Allure:

http://coutureallure.blogspot.com/2010/11/kasper-for-joan-leslie-1975.html

Once I read the blog, I checked one of my favorite resource books, "New York Fashion" and discovered that Joan Leslie was a division of Leslie Fay: http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/fay-leslie/

You'd probably have a little more response if you ask about one or two pieces per thread and start a new post with the title of the label in it - or put something about the piece in your title. Anna May Nichols is probably the shop name, and I "think" I remember that Plymouth Shops (your dressing gown) were in the Boston area. I think the Anna May Nichols gown is from the 1950's and the Joan Leslie from the 1960's.

Thank you for sharing your finds!

Linn

7. LaToya

LaToya Registered Guest

Hello Linn.

Thank you for 'chiming' in. Your response was very helpful as well!

You know, I've always been a lover of vintage anything but my recent finds (and Etsy's forum) led me to this site. This is an amazing community. I found that I have a history lesson behind every piece of clothing in my possession. And it's great to be able to lean on others for a bit of knowledge as well. I will also take your advice to post two images per thread. In my mind, I thought it would be best to stay in one thread.

Thanks again!