1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help reading this needlework sampler

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Despite my wishes to liquidate my vintage clothing collection due to lack of space, I couldn't help picking this up today and I'd love to have some help reading it. Of course I see the alphabet in uppercase and lowercase, then it looks like "River Nile April 1889." Next it looks like "Nanna from Nina" with the words Nanna and Nina done in different lettering styles. The stitching itself appears to be done in knitting yarn, such as wool.
    The fabric has actually been nailed to a wooden board and then the whole thing framed under glass.
    I believe I remember reading somewhere that stitchers would sometimes date their piece with a reference to a current event but I cannot find anything particularly notable about the river Nile from April 1889.
    I would love to hear your thoughts!

IMG_3924.JPG
    IMG_3925.JPG

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. That is very unusual. I can't see a reference to the Nile either with chickens and rabbits.
    How odd.

3. I had been thinking that something historically significant must have happened to do with the Nile in April 1889, but perhaps the date is more personal... family got posted there?

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The only relevant information I could find to the Nile and 1889 was many references such as this: "My grandfather came to Aswan from England as a young man to help build the Old Aswan Dam in 1889. He fell in love with the country, went home ..."

If you Google:

aswan dam 1889

you will find many citations about the British commencement of the construction of the old dam in 1889.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016