1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with dating on this cute dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bluevelvetvintage, May 29, 2004.

1. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Well I'm back from my cross country road trip, helping my sister move to Florida and I picked up this cute dress along the way! The bright color and pattern on this dress really caught my eye. I'm not sure if it's 40s or 50s, but I'm leaning towards 50s. Can someone confirm? It has a side metal zipper and it is ankle length. I always get confused with styles like this. Also, what would you call it? A housedress,hostess dress, sundress?

Thanks Theresa

Blue Velvet Vintage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi Theresa,

I would call it "Patio Party Sizzle! Knockout 50s Summer Dress!"

Love, love, love this! The colour, the print - and that
    full, full skirt and tight bodice styling (my favorite!).

I'm leaning towards a cusper on this - late 40s, early
    50s.

Super find!

Sue

3. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

I thought earlier rather than later too.

Have you noticed we've had a few dresses lately that look like tablecloths or drapes?

Brenda

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I think it's earlier than 50s, too. Late 40s, or maybe even very late 30s through 41?

Lizzie

5. That is so nice! I agree. I think you would be safe in saying 40s.

6. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Oh, that is a great dress!! What a nice souvenier ;) Glad to have you back, btw........

Gail

7. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Finally able to get back here. Wasn't able to log in for a while but it's fixed now! Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice. I like the term patio dress. Now could someone please tell me what elements of this dress make you think it's 40s rather than 50s. Please bear with me as I'm trying to learn. Dresses like this always confuse me. So if someone more experienced with dating could tell me what to look for to help narrow it down I would be eternally grateful! Is it just the overall style or are there individual details you look for?

Thanks Theresa