1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plus Size Vintage Clothing Online Stores?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Leanne12, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Leanne12

Leanne12 Registered Guest

Hello,

I'm looking for some vintage plus size clothing and hoping someone can point me in the right direction for anything online? Does anyone have any recommendations with previous experiences?

Thanks,
    L

GemGem likes this.
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hello there!

I would start by checking out the website of Brittany from Va-Voom Vintage. She has such an honest and positive style. Check out her Plus Size Vintage Q&A.

There are these blog posts from GEM search: https://gem.app/stories/how-to-shop-for-plus-size-vintage
    https://gem.app/stories/plus-size-vintage

There is a Facebook group for selling true vintage fashion and repro fashion in plus sizes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/605917659585856

If you are looking for something in particular, you could tell us what it is and perhaps a VFG member will have just what you are looking for!

GemGem likes this.
  3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Hi Leanne, and welcome to the VFG forums.

Plus size vintage clothing is harder for sellers to come by, for a variety of reasons. Some of it is that humans in general are taller and heavier than we were 100 years ago. Some of the ways women's clothing survived to eventually become "vintage" is that women tended to preserve the special fashions of their youth, while the clothing they "grew into" after starting families was more likely to be worn and worn until it couldn't be worn anymore. Another factor - except for very special occasions, I am not willing to strap myself into the undergarments that past generations of women took for granted as the price to be paid for shaping their body to the requirements of the clothing.

Plus size vintage is out there, but there is less of it and it is likely to be more expensive because of its scarcity.

Have you tried Etsy? Good search terms are XL, Plus, or Queen. I would also add VFG as one of your search terms so Etsy is more likely to show you items from sellers who are VFG members. VFG members adhere to a Code of Practice that includes offering complete measurements.

Last thing - pay attention to measurements, and don't hesitate to contact the seller if needed to ask for more measurements. Large and XL are somewhat subjective, but the numbers will tell the story.

GemGem and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  4. Also check shopthrilling.com for larger size clothing.
    I sell numerous pieces, but I don't have any listed at this time.
    I agree with above about measurements, some sellers consider a todays 10 -12 a plus size and call it volup when it isn't a true larger plus size.

GemGem likes this.
  5. Leanne12

Leanne12 Registered Guest

Thanks for the advice and tips, everyone. Much appreciated. I will give Etsy a go for some vintage styles.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2021
    GemGem likes this.