1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Your Full Vintage Looks here.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by pauline, Aug 19, 2012.

1. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

There is a lot of chatter in web forums in general as to why they are not as popular as once there were, the answer that is brought up the most is that once forums were once the only place to post or talk to others, and now there are so many other places to be and especially with photos.

So I thought I try and start a topic about wearing the "Full Vintage Look" and hopefully some members will also post a few photos now and again.

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Good idea Pauline. I need a break anyway - I'm cleaning out my kitchen top to bottom, and it's like 35 degrees outside (still cooler inside!).

[​IMG]
    This one I've shown before. Attempting a 4os look for my cousin's wedding. The dress (and slip I wore underneath) are the real deal. All else is new or newer, but it was the best I could find once I'd had the dress - I was a little late in getting that. I guess the bag is 60s, the bolero was a ca. 80s affair, very synthetic velvet. Jewelry was new, the hair was a work of art - hot rollers, brycreem and all. But it held all day long.

xmas2002_2.jpg xmas2002_1.jpg
    My first attempt ever to achieve a full vintage look with one of my earlier vintage finds - this was Christmas 2002! I'd found the dress just a few weeks previously at the Salvation Army shop. 60s I guess, and probably made by a dressmaker, it's really beautifully made, the lace all sewn on by hand. The earrings were my mom's (now they are mine :)), vintage. I had no matching black earrings then... Boots were modern of course, and the bangle and bag too. That bag was by H&M and I think it was a pretty nice retro piece. Still have it - and the dress too of course. The hair was probably my first ever attempt with hot rollers. I think this is the longest I've had it ever. I even did my eye makeup according to a tutorial from a 1960s Burda magazine which I'd found also just before that Christmas. Lots of black eye liner and shimmery pastel eyeshadow.

12aug.jpg
    Not a conscious attempt, but the result is pretty clear. Nothing of what I'm wearing is vintage though...!

Karin

northstarvintage and pauline like this.
  3. Tabbyannabel

Tabbyannabel Registered Guest

Funnily enough there are not many pictures of me, I seem always to be the photographer! I did find this one from a couple of years ago. 1970s does 50s! CIMG2905.JPG

4. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Thank you very much Karin and Tabbyannabel for taking the trouble to post your photos.
    I have to say:- I am very sad that 3,362 members have chosen not to take part in this thread.

5. Great idea. I am camera shy so I don't really have many to show.
    I hope to see some others looks.

6. MissRita

MissRita Guest

Don't take it the wrong way Pauline, the forums are always slower in the summer. People are out enjoying what little is left of the short season and sellers like myself are busy getting prepped for fall when online traffic picks up.

Wish I had a photo to post but much to my shame, I don't wear vintage aside from some loungewear and a few accessories. I'm only 5' tall and hate the thought of shortening vintage clothing. At that length, they'd virtually be unwearable after hacking off 5" minimum. I love them too much to do that and with formal I'm the wear it once kinda gal.
    I do wear vintage jewelry however; I'm just wild about European cut diamonds. :wub:

7. This was in my original vintage clothing shop in the 90s.
    Edwardian tea gown, cameo jewelry and lace up boots.
    All real antique pieces.
    Just look at all the wonderful antique pieces that I had.

I couldn't do much with my short hair though.

[​IMG]

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  8. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

Okay, this is me on the right with my parents! It was taken at the Vermont History Expo 4 years ago. I'm wearing one of my favorite 1940's vintage dresses, it is yellow rayon with palm trees.

MomPopMe.jpg

Jen

northstarvintage likes this.
  9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Everyone looks great! Ok, I'll join in the fun! This is from the late 1990s, at a Victorian Fall Festival. The suit is an Edwardian reproduction, but everything else is antique. The ivory kid lace-up boots are Edwardian, as is the paisley wool purse and the large WWI era amber cross brooch. The hat is antique (of course) circa 1918-1920. The hatbox is antique too. I was totally exhausted at the end of the day and had sat under a shaded tree and my dear mom took the picture.

I wish I was that thin now, boo hoo.

me.jpg

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

This is a photo of me taken in 2008 at the Opera Ball in "almost" all vintage; with and without the jacket. The handbag is new but the brooch I put on it is C. 1920's. I am wearing a late 1930's gown and period jewelry. I wear vintage almost every day, mostly 1950's skirts combined with modern tops and belts - but '50's jewelry. I wear a lot of '40's and '50's dresses, too. I do wear modern shoes, though. (Too hard to fit.....)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm really enjoying all these photos!

Linn

11. Jen - I have that same handbag! In fact, I like it so much I tracked down three different copies of it through ebay. Here you can see it in a photo from 2010 when I was snapped for a street style blog.

I'm wearing a '40s black crepe dinner dress: these form the basis of my wardrobe, I have about twenty of them in various stages of repair. I think I might have got this particular one from KK at Atticville. Also a '40s cardigan from a twinset, and a '40s silk cravat. Plus the Garay handbag and a '30s marcasite brooch. The brooch was from an aunt's collection and I wear it often. You can see my little van parked nearby, I was on the way back after helping in a fashion parade in the Melbourne Spring Fashion Week.

collins st style.jpg

12. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

One Word BRILLIANT:USETHUMBUP:
    Thank you all for posting photos

13. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

If I can find it, I'll post a photo taken of me at a Kentucky Derby party a few years ago--dress, shoes, and hat (and maybe bag) were all vintage. Not sure where the photo is, though! Will look....

14. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Wearing vintage goes way back for me. This shot was taken in 1978 or 79 while on vacation with my future DH. We were on a ferry boat on the way to Butchart Gardens in Victoria. The tweed riding jacket, pin and skirt are all vintage. I still have the jacket and pin, sold the skirt years ago on ebay because the waist had gotten too tight.
    79magskirtjaca.jpg

I've posted this one here before, I think. My wedding day, 1980. All the dresses are vintage. My headpiece was modern and dyed to match - it cost about three times more than the dress and hasn't held up nearly as well in the ensuing decades.
    bridalvintage.jpg

15. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

16. Tabbyannabel

Tabbyannabel Registered Guest

Nicole,
    I love your handbag!

17. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Thanks for sharing everyone! OK, I'll play too.

Here is me with my friend Jack in 1989, in one of my very first vintage acquisitions, a 1950s 2pc dress in copper taffeta and lace. (Wish I still had it but the waist would never fit me now!!)
    [​IMG]

Here are a few from much more recently. A fun 1960s dress and square bangle with modern earrings and, most importantly, a 60s hairdo, courtesy of my hairdresser friend, for no reason at all! After she did the hair, I had to go home and change to get the right look for her creation...
    [​IMG]

In a late 1930s/1940s blouse with 1950s pearl earrings and a 1930s "A" brooch, posing with one of my favorite possessions: a boy's antique silk top hat.
    [​IMG]

More photos, let's see some more y'all!! :)

18. Great photos Amy! Thank you for sharing. You're very elegant.

I feel like the internets are awash with pics of me wearing vintage - so here's another one with my sweetheart. I'm wearing one of my favourite '30s silk rayon dressing gowns with - yes - my favourite handbag! Tim's wearing a late '50s suit. I love this one on him.

N and Tim.jpg

19. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

These are GREAT! Enjoying the photos very much!

Jen

20. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

:USETHUMBUP: Gosh, everyone looks great! Nicole, your sweetie is nice looking, and you make a lovely couple.